Epilogue: Chapter 1

"Sandara." I heard my great grandmother whisper as she wrapped a thick blanket around me, warming me in this freezing night. I shifted from my place, making myself more comfortable and lifted my legs to my chest, hugging them to stabilize my temperature. After all, according to the radio, France will experience their coldest nights starting from this day.

I heard someone cough from behind me and only when she spoke did I realize it was my great grandmother again. "You haven't taken a bath for the past two weeks." She pointed out, worriedly.

"I am aware." I softly answered, whispering and a veil of smoke escaped my lips since the temperature was too cold. My fingers starts to feel numb already and I clenched them to keep my temperature again.

"You only have eaten a piece of bagel and a cup of soup for the past two weeks." She reminded me, more worried than before.

I blinked my eyes and once again, sighed. "I am aware."

"You have been sitting there for two weeks." She croaked, on the verge of tears. "Sandara, please. Don't do that to yourself. Jiyong already-"

"He'll come back." I insisted, fixing my gaze again on the tall metal bars in front of me. "I know he'll come back."

"What if-" She paused, her breathing hitched and her next words sounded unsure. "Sandara, you could always wait inside."

"No." I firmly answered, my clenched fists tightening and then, I quickly remembered Jiyong's fake ease in front of my family. Even though he said he was fine, the truth is he wasn't. "He's not comfortable with my family. Jiyong won't come inside to find me." I said, mostly reminding myself.

"Sandara." She whispered and then sighed. "Okay. If that's what you want. Just call me if it gets too cold."

"Just one more day." I immediately said and she stopped walking back towards the mansion, her footsteps stopping midway. I, on the other hand, started crying again, and I wiped off the tears using my cool fingertips. "I told myself that I'll only wait for 18 days since that's a special number for us. Tomorrow is the 18th day and if he didn't return, I'll stop." I hiccupped. "I'll stop waiting for him." I buried my face in the gap between my knees and my torso, and cried.

I felt my great grandmother run back towards the mansion, her cries also filling the cold dry night and as much I can't take waiting for him, she can't take seeing me waiting.

~

After 5 years

"Park Sandara! Don't run up there!" I heard my father loudly call from downstairs. "And hurry up! The royal family doesn't make anyone wait for long."

I appeared at the top of the stairs, the left strap of my dress still loosened, lying limply at my arm and the zipper at my back still open. "But it's my first time going into an amusement park after so long!"

My great grandmother appeared from behind me and started doing the zipper and the ribbon belt as I continue to blabber in front of my father. "I can't believe that the royal family would be invited to an event like this! I thought-wow!-I could only see hotels, buildings and landmarks. This is the first time I'm going to cut a ribbon for an amusement park!"

My father sighed, shaking his head as he took a sip from his hot coffee and said, "I did it a couple of times before. The royal family are human beings too you know. We're not all about class."

My great grandmother tapped my shoulder as soon as she was finished and I started hopping down the stairs, even though it may sound impossible while wearing high heels. Two of the palace guards readied themselves in case I trip on the way down.