Chapter 12

Fair is foul and foul is fair; hover through the fog and filthy air

I watched the scenery as we pass by: a row of townhouses with their house number only being their differences. Mom chose this shortcut specifically because it's much more peaceful and hassle-free than the highway, plus much safer. The subdivision only accepts cars with their sticker, and since Mom has one (from Bom), she uses the privilege of the shortcut. Bom's house is located in the secluded area, far from the townhouses.

Fair is foul and foul is fair; hover through the fog and filthy air

I read the line again. Reading Renaissance period books has been my hobby ever since I borrowed a Shakespearean book from Bom's library. The book was already covered with dust, and inevitably untouched when I first saw it. Bom said, without a beat, that I can have it when I asked her if I can borrow it, but because I don't like receiving too much from her, I insisted on borrowing it. She gave in easily, but gave no due date for the book. That was better than receiving it.

The book was entitled Macbeth. I didn't know I will actually read it when I swore when I was in high school to not read it. My English teacher clearly warned us about the gore, the emphasis on blood and the sexuality in the book. Since then, I swore to never read it, due to my sensitivity with that kind of themes, but I ended up like this: I read it in the end, and enjoyed it nonetheless.

"We're here, Sandara." My mom announced, and pulled into the curb near our department's building. I closed the book, and reached out to her to kiss her cheek. After the kiss, my mom patted my head, smiling and said, "Remember to resist and avoid."

I was about to ask why when suddenly, it popped in my mind. I cried again for three nights with no sleep or eat after the field trip because my mind kept on replaying the call conversation I had with Jiyong. I don't even know why, and I was devastated.

I got out of the car, settled myself on the pavement and waved as my mom made a turn towards the exit gate. There's a sudden stir of feeling of dread, nervousness even, inside of me but I tried to push it off. This is not the time.

I went inside the building while hugging the book close to my chest. There were a lot of students in the hallway, maybe because it has been a complete three days since the last day of the field trip. Some of the students would usually take an absent after the trip, and it takes a day for three days. I don't take an absent, so I don't know what it would be like.

There were punches, slaps, shouts and even kisses everywhere. I try my best to dodge everything, except for the kisses since they are shared through the lips, and find Bom, who's probably waiting for me somewhere.

I hugged the book tighter to my chest, and instantly found Bom casually leaning on the lockers with Top in front of her. My face brightened up, and I ran up towards them but before I knew it, I bumped into someone and fell on the ground.

"Oops," Someone with a familiar voice said.

I looked up, still wincing and the pain grew deeper, but emotionally. My mouth went sandpaper-dry, but I managed to croak out, "Jiyong."

"Oh." The smile on his face faded, and was replaced by a frown. "I'm sorry. I wasn't looking to where I was going."

"Come on, Ji!" I saw one of his cool friends that I'm not close with, Taeyang, said and wrapped his long muscular arm around my ex-boyfriend's shoulders. "Let's go to the court and go for some hoops!"

Jiyong laughed dryly, his face turned to Taeyang, but I could see his eyes are directed at me. "Sure, bro. Let me just help my girlfriend up."

My heart skipped a bit with the title, but nevertheless I kept my cool. Jiyong reached for my hand, which I half-heartedly gave and he pulled me up, hastily holding my waist with his free hand to support me as I stand. Some of the bystanders whispered, while some ignored us and continued to do what they were doing.