Chapter 20

My senses woke me up as soon as light filtered the before cloistered room, and I squirmed. I blinked to open my eyes that were already used to being closed and saw that one of the housemaids was opening the velvet curtains. I accidentally grunted rather than talk and she jumped in surprise.

She bowed as soon as she saw me, her whole body trembling in what seems to me was fear and apologized, "I'm sorry for waking you up, princess."

Her accent wasn't French, though it may have hints of it. It was more of Asian. I'm guessing she's Japanese, and had served the royal family long enough to caught up a little of the accent. I coughed and outstretched my opened palm, shaking it. "No, it's okay. I was just trying to greet you with a good morning but my throat went dry."

She bowed again, and apologized as if waking me up was a sin. "I deeply apologize for my wrongdoing, madamemoiselle." Then she straightened her body up, though she was still trembling and added, "If you want I could bring you and your fiance breakfast. What would you want?"

I gratefully declined the offer, mustering a soft smile on my sleepy face. "No, it's fine. We'll eat with my great grandmother."

She excused herself and went out hastily, almost scrambling off.

I sat up, the comforter rode down to my thighs while Jiyong's side rode up to his, uh somehow, very thin midriff and then, I looked at his sleeping face.

I frowned. It wasn't Jiyong who was beside me. It was a girl who I didn't know. She wasn't wearing Jiyong's clothes, thank god but instead, wore a maid's uniform.

She scrambled up from the bed hastily, almost tripping herself with the comforter and bowed to me. "I'm very sorry, princess. Your fiance ordered me to this and I am not allowed to say no to the masters' orders. Please forgive me."

I was clueless than ever. Why would Jiyong order her to do this? Why the heck would he order her to replace him in sleeping beside me?

I gathered up my thoughts quickly and asked, "Where's Ji?"

She bit her lip, closed her eyes and sighed before answering, "He was the maid before."

"What?" I asked again, definitely clueless.

The door opened and the maid before, the one who pulled the curtains aside, entered. She laughed, giving off a comepltely different attitude than the one she showed before and spoke, "Good morning, princess."

But it wasn't her voice from before. It was low, loud and much more male. It was like...Jiyong's voice.

I narrowed my eyes and he laughed heartily.

I stood up from the bed and started walking towards him. He opened his arms up and said, "Okay I know you were scared because you didn't see me as soon as you wake up, Come on, give me a hug."

I was now near. He continued to talk. "I will never leave you, right? You must be scared. Come on, hug me."

I stopped in front of him, and before he scooped me into a hug, my fist met his face.

The maid behind me squeled as we both stare, though hers was horrified while mine was loathing, at the lifeless form called Jiyong.

~

I planned on finding and talking with my father first before I go down for breakfast, but when I successfully saw a glimpse of him shuffling into his formal clothes, Jiyong dragged me towards the kitchen. I thought it was for breakfast, but I was flabbergasted to see that kitchen in the maids' headquarters was turned into a complete fitting area. In the doorway, all of the maids formed two lines, forming what seems to be a runway in the middle. After three seconds, they bowed in unison.