Part 11

Jane arrived early the next day to pick them up. Lisbon let out a sigh and looked beside to her daughter. Charlotte was smiling and she wanted to go to the carnival. She was exciting from the moment Jane had asked them to come along with him. Lisbon was hesitated but she agreed. She couldn't refuse his proposal when she saw Charlotte's begging eyes.

After a fifty minutes ride, they reach to their destination. Charlotte jumped out of the car and Lisbon walked to her side and took her hand. The moment they entered the carnival, Jane began to talk and greeted people. Some of them looked at Lisbon and Charlotte with a weird expression and other just made a small polite conversation with them.

"Let's see. What do you want first to do?" Jane asked softly Charlotte.

"I want to see Daisy." Charlotte replied enthusiastically.

"Okay. Let's go to find my friends Sam and Pete then." Jane responded and leaded the way.

"You seem to like and fit with the people here. Why did you leave?" Lisbon asked calm.

"Well..." Jane began and let a sigh "Carnies are good people but you know you're either with the show or you're not. There's nowhere in the middle. And if you're not with the show, then you're a mark. You are a sucker. And I didn't like that." Jane explained . "They are gonna tell you're a cop. Be prepare for it."

"Really? People very rarely guess I'm a cop." Lisbon said with disbelief.

"Patrick Jane. Son of a bitch." a man voice came from behind them and they turned to look.

Jane and the old man laughed at each other and they hugged happily.

"I heard you work with police but I didn't believe it. But you are here with a real one." the old man said looking at Lisbon. "And who is that little cute one?" he continued showing Charlotte.

"Pete, this is my good friend Teresa Lisbon and her daughter Charlotte. " Jane explained smiling at them.

"If you are with Jane, I guess you are okay with me." Pete replied and offered Lisbon his hand for handshaking.

"Thanks. " Lisbon responded composed.

"You know, I haven't seen you for a while." Pete said referring to Jane.

"Well, you know. Business." Jane responded calm.

"Yeah, I know. So, what brings you here?" he asked and he noted them to follow him.

"I wanted to see you and I promised to Charlotte to show her Daisy."

Pete let a laugh and knocked the door of a airstream.

"Hey, Sam. Come on out here. I got a surprise for you, honey." Pete said loudly and the door opened.

"Oh, look at you." Jane said and opened his hands to hug Sam but she gave him a slap.

"Aaah, what was that for?" Jane asked caressing his cheek.

"Detroit." she snapped at him

"Oh, yeah. Fair enough." Jane agreed with her.

"So, what's with the state trooper?" Sam asked serious crossing her arms on her chest. "And who is that little girl?"

"Yeah, it's like unreal, huh? A Jane working with the law." Pete said sarcastic.

"How do I look like a cop?" Lisbon asked curious.

"Oh, please. Look like Cagney and Lacey had a baby, called it Pepper." Sam replied and Pete laughed. "Well, it's good to see you Patrick but the police is the police. No offense."