Chapter 12: Snow.

"Go ahead Snow." I cuss.

"Miss Mason as feisty as ever. What an absolute privilege it is-"

"Cut the bullshit Snow. What the fuck do you want?"

"My my girl. You do have a mouth on you. However that is not what I wanted to discuss. What I wanted to discuss was your tributes this year. Braedon and Haiden right? Boy, they're just as much trouble as you are Johanna. And this poses a problem for me. See, normally I wouldn't ask a mentor to purposely kill off their own tributes, as it just wouldn't be fair. So let me phrase it like this. I ask you now, you do not let your tributes win. Do you hear me?"

"Oh I heard you alright. Why can't they win?"

"Do not question my motives Young Johanna. Go with them."

I begin to open my mouth to question his motives but he's already cut me off.

"Who was that Jo?" Una calls.

"Uh, no one! I'm tired Una. I'm off to bed. Goodnight!" I call, all while scurrying back to my room.

Why can't they win?

-

Crawling on my hands and knees. Deep red blood seeping from uneven cuts which sting almost as much as my head pounds.

He is there. Waiting for me in all his vain glory. Waiting to kill me. Waiting to end me. Waiting to obliterate me.

Snow.

My head wants to turn back round and get away from him as fast as I can, but my body doesn't want to move at all. It inches forwards until I'm looking directly into his snakelike eyes.

"Hello Missss Masssson." He hisses.

I try to open my mouth but it doesn't budge. It's like it's taped shut.

I don't even have time to scream before he plunges a silver plated knife into my chest. Moving the knife in circular directions, churning up my insides.

Screaming wakes me up from yet another pointless slumber.

Sleep is fitful as always. Haunted by my demons. Plagued by the unsettling times. Horrified about what's to follow in the coming days.

I don't even attempt trying to go back to sleep and just throw myself up out of bed and I walk round the empty rooms. My feet hitting all different colours of plush carpet. Ivory, burgundy and cyan.

A light tap on my shoulder makes me jump and I grab the closest item to me to use as a weapon.

I mean a pillow might not be my first choice but I'd rather be safe than sorry, bitch.

An avox, a girl, opens her eyes wide showing she means not harm. She's a pasty white colour with almost blood red hair that slips out of her bun placed at the nape of her neck. I give her one last eye up before dropping my pillow.

"Sorry." I mumble as she shakes her head.

She reaches out for my hand, which I hesitantly give to her, and she takes me to the bar in the kitchen.

I watch her hands make light ease of some milk and spices. She pushes the drink towards me and I gulp it hungrily.

She shoots me a small smile as I whisper a thank you. She bows and exits the room as swiftly as she entered.

I walk to the dining table and take a seat at the very empty mahogany table.

It just me and the sounds. The sounds of the rain hitting the very few windows. The sounds of my breathing. My heart beating fast against my chest.