Welcome to the Masquerade Ball......

• Dedicated to Hannah Holman

“This is Elvis’s Stuck on you?” I asked as approached the ball room he laughed“Yes you really recognized it?” he asked peeking at me.

“I’m gunna sick like glue yeah, yeah because I’m stuck on you.” I sang along and he started laughing. The song ended before we got to the ball room and a very different song started to play.

“September by Daughtry, Leave this Town Album?” I said. He stopped and turned to face me. He was searching my eyes since he couldn’t see my face for my mask. I started to quietly sing the lyrics. He smiled.

“Let’s go” he started to pull me towards the door and we stood outside the door until the song stopped then he knocked three times. The door opened and the Dj started to speak.

“Now let me introduce Prince Shawn Schnider and his date Kameron Ray! Happy Birthday Shawn!” everyone in the room erupted with shouts of birthday wishes and clapping. He glanced around the room smiling.

The song Check yes or no started to play and he looked over at me. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?” I asked. He did that ghost of a smile and held out his hand.

“Would you care to dance?” he asked. I blushed but I’m hoping the makeup covered most of it and took his hand.

“Do you love me? Do you want to be my friend? And if you do, well then don’t be afraid to take me by the hand if you want to. I think this is how love goes check yes or no.” he sang along to the song and it made me smile.

“So what is up with the change of heart?” I asked he searched my eyes and sighed. Another slow song was on so we just stayed dancing.

“I realized something about you. And this isn’t just mine and my brothers birthday party. This year on our….”

I cut him off. “Please don’t tell me your actual age I might puke.” I held up the hand that was on his left shoulder and turned my head. He laughed and I looked at him again placing my hand back.

“Ok then this year is the year that me and my brother are suppose to find wives. And the first to marry gets the crown since we are twins we had to make it a competition and since we are brothers it makes the competition all the worse.” He said he looked out over the crowd to where his brother was slow dancing with some girl in a cheap purple dress.

“So what your saying is the only reason you asked me to have dinner with you on my birthday night by the way! Is so you could kidnap me and try to marry me?” my voice was raising but I didn’t care if I turned a few heads.

“Shh Kam please.” He reached for me but I batted his hand away. “Get away from me you arrogant piece of trash!” I all but screamed it and every one stopped and looked at us. Even the Dj stopped playing the music.

I looked around the room and everyone who was a vampire had their teeth out. So I’m guessing bad mouthing a prince is an eating offence. Death by draining and they were all waiting on the go ahead from him.

“Please everyone continue with your night.” He said in a level tone while watching me everyone looked disappointed.

“Please you can hate me but will you still be my date for my birthday ball?” he asked hand out stretched.

I looked at his hand then around at the few people still ease dropping I saw several nod their heads and urging me to talk his hand. “Yes I will be your date.” I placed my hand in his and he looked over my shoulder. He smiled and my hand started to burn where he touched.

I pulled my hand away and started to scream. No one looked my way this time. It was like they couldn’t hear me. I looked up at Shawn through tears and saw him smiling.

“What the hell did you do to me?” I screamed at him. My hand was like it was on fire.  I looked down at it and screamed. There was a silver ban on my left finger. “What the fuck is this you crazy psychopath!”

He didn’t say anything he just picked me up bridal style and took me over to the Dj table. He whispered something to the Dj and he turned off the music everyone turned to protest when they saw us standing up there. The burning was gone but I was mad and confused about the ring that won’t come off. Shawn took a microphone from the Dj.

“Welcome to the Masquerade Ball! I would like you to meet my fiancé Kameron Ray!” he screamed and everyone else started to scream cheers and his brother looked extremely mad. “Here honey would you like to say a few words?” he handed the microphone to me but something took over my body in a sense and what I said into the microphone I didn’t mean to.

“I will be proud to be the queen as soon as I’m turned. I love you Shawn.” I leaned over and me and Shawn kissed. Ok so that I really wanted to do but it was still against my will. If I had control over my body I wouldn’t have done it.

I saw from the corner of my eyes his brother fly out the room and I knew I was going to see him later tonight I just didn’t know how I knew. Shawn pulled me down from the Dj stand and started to show me off to people.

I heard hundreds of congratulations then I saw his mom coming towards us. She grabbed me first in a big old hug and swung me around. She put me down and kissed Shawn on the cheek and hugged him really hard. I think I heard a crack and then she pulled us both from the room.

“The wedding is tomorrow. I already have your dress planned out. It shall be beautiful. You are a virgin right? Anyway it’s going to be big and white.” She kept talking I know because I saw her mouth moving but I stopped being able to hear her and I kept looking at Shawn and he was smiling.

You arrogant piece of poop! I thought and he looked over at me. I’m arrogant yes but I am not poop. His voice sounded in my head and I tried to open my mouth to tell his mom that the wedding was off. And what came out I was kicking myself for the entire time it left my mouth.

“I want red roses everywhere. And I want my dress to have red detail. Oh and at the end of the wedding ceremony I want my turning ceremony with everyone present.” She gave a scream of delight.

“Yes, yes dear lets go plan right now.” She reached to grabbed my hand. But Shawn was there first.

“Mother don’t take my new fiancé away from me right now. I need her.” He gave his mom a shy look and she nodded and flounced off to plan my wedding.

“Let’s go darling.” He started to pull me the opposite way of my room.

“I hate you where are we going!” I asked as he pulled me down countless halls.

He just kept pulling and pulling on my arm. “Let go of me you freak!”

In a blur we were in front of a set of huge double doors and he pushed one side and entered the room pulling me with him. Inside was a small sitting area. To the left side was a giant stare case. He picked me up bridal style and in a flash we were up the stairs.

He set me down and pulled me down a small hallway that was lined with windows. I looked out the windows and there was sun like a sun rise just a little and water. Are we by the ocean?

“Yes,” was all he said and we had reached the doors. “Welcome to my room.”