Chapter 1

Avalaya

Love; a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. 

Growing up, I didn't believe in love. How could I when my mother and father hardly showed any affection towards each other? My mum was always out with friends and my dad was a workaholic. I had heard how my parents had been madly in love when they first met. People would describe it as, 'The best love story ever,' or 'love at first site.' There was one photo stuck on the wall of both of them together, it was on their wedding day. My mum was dressed in a classic wedding dress and my dad in a suit. They both look merry. As I grew up I had to deal with all the girls talking about their boyfriends, or their new crushes. Then I met him. He was arrogant, a jerk and y but in his own way was perfect.

14/September/2004

I was ten. I'm seventeen now and in those seven years I haven't uttered a word. I only had one friend who stuck by me. Emilee. At school, I was a freak show. 

''Ava, what do you think of this?'' Emilee asked me. We were at the shops. I smiled and nodded my head, telling her that I approve. After she bought the top, we went to sit down at the food court. We were eating and a guy, probably a few years older then us came to our table. 

''Hey gorgeous,'' he said to Emilee. Emilee was gorgeous, she had long blonde hair and green eyes. 

''Hello,'' she said stiffly. 

''I'm Ross,'' he told her smoothly. 

''I'm Emilee.'' 

''What a beautiful name.'' Emilee blushed a crimson red. My phone let out a long beep. I opened it to find a text from my mum. 

mum: 'need you at home now.' 

I showed Emilee my phone. ''Let's go, Ava.''  After Emilee gave Ross her number we drove home. ''It sounds important,'' she told me when we got to my house. ''I'll talk to you tomorrow.'' 

I walked into the house  My dad and mum were sat on the couch. My father had aged a lot in the past few years. He had dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. I had inherited all my looks from my mother, she had brown hair, much like my fathers and piercing blue eyes. ''Sit down, Avalaya.'' I took a seat opposite from my parents. I nodded my head, urging them to go on. 

''Avalaya, you know we love you,'' my dad started. 

''But we can't do this anymore,'' my mum finished. 

''You won't even help us so we can find out why you're mute. You won't even take classes for sign language!'' my dad huffed. I didn't want them to know why I was mute… that was the point and I didn't see the point with taking sign language classes. 

''I have a friend, we used to be very close and she lives a few hours away from here. She has a son your age… you'll be staying with them.''

They were sending me away? 

Comment for a reminder

Avalaya is pronounced Ay-va-laya. I know it's boring but I promise it'll start getting better probably after chapter five... (: 

Teaser: ''Why won't she say anything?'' Conner asked.