Chapter Sixteen: More Like Baby Steps

Dedicated to believe96 because her story One and Only has been one of my favorite stories since the beginning and I think it's a great, funny, lovey dovey story to read.

Chapter Sixteen: More Like Baby Steps

The days have been long and uneventful since the reunion, and by that I mean I've spent my recent days with Ricky. Day and night with Ricky by my side. It's not the best...but it's all I got for right now. Bella? She's been working. She leaves at nine in the morning and comes back around five in the afternoon. I leave around eight in the morning and come back past midnight, so we basically don't see each other. I've only spoken to her on the phone. Kind of, hoping to sort of, avoid her, Jay, and Liam all together? In my defense, I'm still traumatized from the reunion and I can't stand to see any of them. Although, a very small part of me feels very lonely and I'm starting to miss Bella. Who knew taking a break from the real world could be so exhausting? It's time to go back home.

As I wait for my tail to dry up, I think of a way to return back home with Bella having a big smile on her face. Cupcakes. I dress quickly with a pair of jean shorts and a plain turquoise tank over my bikini top. I start making my way out of the secret hide out and start walking out on the beach. As I'm gliding across the beach and onto Lahaina's boardwalk, I check my wallet to see if I have money on me.

"Morning, Gabriela." A raspy voice with an accent greets me.

"Hi...Mr. Lancaster." I say with a shy, uneasy smile on my face.

He's standing on his boat along the pier with a toothy smile on his face. I turn around and squint at him because of the morning rising sun behind him, I lift my arm and shield my eyes away from it.

"Ah, just the person I was looking for. I am in need of an extra pair of hands. My assistant called in sick today."

"What a shame," I say sincerely and shove my hands behind my jean pockets. "What can I help you with?" He hops off from the side and comes walking my way.

"Nothing too rough. Just carrying these buckets of water inside." He points at my feet and I look down to see a couple of buckets filled with water, almost to the rim. Shit.

"Okay..." I say weakly. I bend down and take the handles of the buckets in each hand and lift them up carefully.

"Atta girl. Come on over here." He motions me over.

"Kay..." I mumble quietly to myself.

I glance behind me to see people strolling along carefree, if Lancaster knew about me and Bella he wouldn't dare do anything in public, right? I re-grip the handles of the buckets in my hands because they're starting to dig into my skin and take a deep breath before I step onto his boat. I walk from the front to the west side of his boat to where he is and place the buckets down on the ground. He glances down from his ladder to where he is fixing a light bulb and grins at me.

"Two down. Four more to go, eh?" I smile up at him and nod my head as I turn back around and step off the boat to take another pair of buckets in my hands.

On my last trip, I place the last pair of buckets on the ground and smile in triumph for not getting myself wet.

"Well, that's it Mr. Lancaster. Have a nice day." I say brushing my hands off.

"Oh, just one more thing," he says screwing the light bulb in, "Pass me a bucket please? I have to wipe the bird crap on the roof."

My smile twitches and I nod my head as I kneel down and grab a bucket in my hands and lift it up for him to grab carefully, "Here ya go." I mutter as I strain myself for him to receive the bucket. As he reaches for it, not knowing how close I lifted the bucket to him, his hand whacks the buckets causing it to tip from my hands causing water to spill all over my arms and face. I gasp and back pedal away causing the bucket to fall onto the floor, stupidly of me because all the water splashes out and spills onto my legs. "Shit." I gasp quietly and before I jump out of the boat to save myself I realize I'm with Lancaster and that is the last thing I should do. "Uhm - can I use your bathroom?" I ask hastily as I try to dry myself off by wiping the water off only to find it pointless.