Chapter Eleven: In the Dark

I'm trapped. Liam is eyeing me carefully and when he nods his head over to the back of the room, my heart stops and I'm having trouble breathing. My feet are walking without my control towards Liam who is looking as casual as always, and me? My arms are folded tightly together across my chest. I look pathetic. I push myself though the crowd until I'm at least a few feet away from him. This can't be happening. He knows I'm here and like the jerk he is, he'll probably tell Bella where I am, and then Bella will literally drag Jay all the way here and then drag me all the way into the ocean to drown me! Oh god. He folds his arms across his chest and then stares me down. It's back to our stare off, but I refuse to give in. Luckily, he's the first to break contact and a smug smirk stretches across my face.

"So, aren't you supposed to be at the movies right now?" I internally screech as I falter right in front of him, my jaw dropping slightly, and now he's wearing the smug smirk on his face. I don't know what to say. "Where's Bella?" he looks at me expectantly and I'm still gaping at him. How dare him. So, I adjust my folded arms and stand a little taller and compose myself.

"She's on a date with Jay."

"Ah, so Bella doesn't know you're here." and I'm trapped again. Liam knows what kind of parties Sydney throws and also what had happened to Bella. Yet, he's here. I'm about to burst like a volcano. A smirk appears on his face as he notices me tongue-tied.

"You're here too." I remark, "Bella would be very disappointed given the fact that you two are so close."

"I'm actually here with the swim team. Where's your party? Over there?" he nods behind me and I turn to see a group of girls stripping off their shirts leaving them in their skimpy bikinis and such while the guys look at them hungrily. For a moment, everything slows down and my shoulders drop as I closely watch everyone and everything. The music is pounding in my ears, couples are making out, dancing, drinking, letting go of each and every problem they have going on. And me? My problem is standing right behind me in the same room. I turn back around to find him smirking down at me, until he raises his eyebrow and that's when I lose it. "You really haven't changed."

I scoff with much attitude, "Oh, please, get off your high horse and get off my damn back." I exasperate and turn on my heels.

It's only twelve in the morning, and the party? Well, it's gotten bigger and so did the amount I began to drink. Unfortunately, I'm still aware of everything. Like the fact that Chelsea, an old swim teammate of mine, can't keep her long, scrawny, painted hands off him. This happened an hour ago when half the swim team came in and greeted Liam with a "warm" welcome. More like screaming and cheering, and complimenting on how "good" he looked. I can't believe he's here. He's never been a fan of parties, sure he's always looked like he belonged, but he never quite enjoyed them. Now he's back in Maui almost the complete opposite from the one that left. So, this is what college does to you. It takes you into the ocean with only a lifeboat and few supplies to survive with and after a few storms and lonely nights you come back as a different person. My hand tightens around my beer bottle as I see Chelsea scoot closer to Liam, and Liam? Not even noticing. This party officially blows. I turn around and pour tequila into my shot glass and down it without a second thought. I shake my head as I take in the drink and look back over to Liam.

"I know," I turn my head to see Rita leaning against the table beside me, "Liam sure is one hell of an eye candy." My jaw drops at her blunt comment, "I understand why you've been staring at him." I double take in her direction and then at Liam's.

I straighten up, "I haven't been staring –"

"Sure you have, you look like a possessive ape ready to claim territory."