Umm I Didn't Mean To Tell You That & Too Much Poetry

Damon Salvatore POV

            I ran my fingers through my jet black hair and hummed along to the radio, but Elena leant over and fiddled with the dial, not seeming to like my taste in music. I rolled my eyes – that girl could be so stubborn, sometimes. We’d bickered over which channel to tune into for all of fifteen minutes, before Elena broke the argument declaring she was hungry. I scanned the desolate plains around us – just road, stretching on and on for miles – and revved the engine, speeding up in an attempt to find somewhere where there was signs of life. I was hungry too, and I knew that the fun would begin when Elena had had one or two shots – that I knew from our previous road trip. She still put on an offended front and insisted I had kidnapped her, whenever I mentioned the trip, but really, I knew that that had been the most fun she’d had in ages – and not to mention, the girl had saved my life!

            “I’m hungry,” Elena whined, dragging out the words and leaning over to punch my arm. Her eyes were wide and puppy dog like and it reminded me of just about every girl I’d managed to convince to hop into bed with me – wide eyed, begging for more. But even I knew there was a time and a place, and with Elena Gilbert - the girl who I was, as Bella Swan so delightfully puts it in that trashy teen novel Twilight  “unconditionally and irrevocably in love” with – that time and a place would have to wait. Jesus, I mentally slapped myself. I was going soft, spouting all this romantic crap, and I made a conscious effort not to do anymore of the aforementioned spouting.

            I turned to Elena, a completely deadpan expression on my face, and said, “Ok, first of all, seriously? The idea that you could ever actually do me bodily damage with those dainty little hands of yours? Don’t make me laugh... secondly  don't scratch my jacket. It cost me $1000. I will kill you."  I flashed her a dazzling smile, and I grinned as she looked taken aback. Oh, I did like winding people up. “Kidding, by the way,” I added, when Elena didn’t reply and instead looked wistfully out of the window.

            “Do you ever think about the future?” Elena asked. I blinked a few times – more out of shock than my actual need to blink, seeing as I had no such need – and wondered what had brought on the sudden change in conversation. One minute Elena was hungry, next she was all melancholy and pensive, staring out the window like Taylor freaking Swift in some music video. I rolled my eyes.

            “I’m a vampire, Elena,” I drawled, barely keeping my eyes on the road, instead turning my head and looking straight at her as I answered. “My future, whilst uncertain, drags on for a long and boring eternity, and for me, that’s just kind of depressing. Being a vampire’s a lonely life, Elena. Watching all your loved ones pass away, until you have no one left... dwelling on the future only seems to make me all the more miserable. But yes, I do think about the future sometimes – where we’ll be, what will happen to Stefan and me, what I’ll be doing, which hot chick I’ll be dating-“ Elena rolled her eyes at that one, “but I do my damned best not to think about it. Because it’s scary.”

            I finished my speech and I felt pretty proud of myself – I’d never really been a particularly vocal person, but I’d summarised how I felt pretty clearly there. That was one thing I liked about Elena – whenever I was around her, everything just seemed to make more sense, and things came easier to me. I groaned. I had to stop with all this romantic crap, or when we finally rescued Stefan, he’d think I had turned gay! Elena sat thoughtfully and I asked her, “Why, what brought that on, Miss Gilbert?”

            “Hmm,” she mused. “A combination of things.” I pushed her for more specifics, and after throwing me a “I am not impressed” face, she continued. “I had a dream,” she began. “You and me were at some chalet or something, and we were... you know...” I could guess, but being the mean and torturous being that I am, I made her continue. “We were together,” she finished. I didn’t say anything, so she continued, “And it made me think, you see. What if Stefan never comes back? Then there’s the part of me that wonders what the future holds – what am I going to do as my job, how will my exams go... what will happen to Jeremy and Jenna  - will I be a vampire, or will I die and leave you alone in eternity or will you turn me ... will I ever tell you how I feel about you, will you leave me like Stefan did,” She sighed.

            I don’t think she quite got the implications of what she said.

            Will you turn me. Will I ever tell you how I feel about you.

            How did she feel about me?

            “Elena,” I began, surprised my voice didn’t crack will all the emotions going through my head, “What do you mean when you said “Will I ever tell you how I feel about you?””

            Her eyes widened. She clearly hadn’t meant to say that, and I grinned. “So how do you feel about me, Miss Gilbert.”

            A moment silence and I imagined if we’d have been in some pathetic romance film, you’d have heard my heart pounding. Of course, that wasn’t possible seeing as I was kind of dead...

            Elena looked at me, her eyes searching my face for something, a faint pinkish tinge coming to her cheeks.

            I looked at her, searching her face for something, some indication of the answer she was about to give me.

            “I love you, Damon,” she whispered, her voice barely audible.

            My metaphorical heart stopped beating, and my body shot above the clouds, soaring with joy. Damn, I had to stop reading all these wimpy novels, I thought, they’re definitely starting to take effect on me.

            Elena Gilbert loved me.

            And I loved her too.