Chapter 16: Stuck with Mr. ADHD

Chapter 16

[Erika Fernandez]

*Stuck with Mr. ADHD*

I stormed out of the forum. Of course, I didn't show that to Reyna. The moment I was out of their sight was when I displayed my anger. I really wonder what one can accomplish with this guy tailing behind my back. I could never believe Reyna would agree to let this guy go with me. First of all, precious time would be wasted since I know I would have to spend the whole afternoon teaching this guy the ropes. Sure, he was a Hephaestus kid but what does he know about fixing things? Second of all, I hate associating with people, especially ones from a Greek Camp who is probably here to destroy my home. I'm not a receptionist from a hotel or a customer service personnel for Zeus' sake! And lastly, with my powers, I don't even need his help.

"So uh..." Mr. ADHD started making a conversation, "I'm Leo." he held out his hand.

"Erika." I replied curtly and shook his hand.

I led him in silence towards an open space filled with debris and broken wheels that used to be a huge building. Damaged swords and other unusable weapons were lying on the ground.

"Woah. What happened here?" Leo asked.

"The latest war," turning my attention to the wreck in front of me, "The time before you guys arrived. It was a really one-sided battle until Percy, Hazel and Frank arrived with the eagle." I winced, trying to get the thought of those three together out of my mind. Instead, I fixed my attention on the broken carriages.

"Oh." he placed his left hand in his pocket, "Can you still fix this place?" he said while picking up a small piece of charred wood.

"Are you questioning my ability, Valdez?" I asked while smiling.

Uh-oh. Wrong tone of voice. What is wrong with me? Why am I smiling?!

It seems that he, too, was startled at my sudden change in attitude. But I guess he knew better than to slap me in the face with that fact, 'cause if he did, I'm really gonna murder him.

"Um... No! I don't mean that." he tried to explain. He looked too funny that's why I laughed so hard. And I'll admit it, he looks kinda... nevermind.

"There is one reason why they made me a 'repair girl' in this camp," I placed air quotes in repair girl, "Well, it's two reasons actually."

"And what is that?" he asked.

"Well, the first would be Octavian. He hates me."

"And why would he hate you?" By his tone of voice, it seems that he was clearly interested.

He is interested? I can't believe it. Perhaps, I have to change my opinion of this guy. Maybe he can be a friend...

"Because of the second reason. I'm a daughter of Athena."

Leo wrinkled his brow as if to say,You sure you got the right mother? You're a Roman for Hephaestus' sake!

"I know you think it's weird but yeah, my mother is Greek."

Leo whistled, "Then why are you at a Roman Camp?"

"I don't know. You see, Minerva doesn't have any children. Well, none that I know of." I explained, "She's a maiden goddess to the Romans."

"So she's like Artemis?" Leo picked up a little gizmo from his toolbelt and fiddled with the pieces without even looking at it.

"Yeah. So the idea of Athena-slash-Minerva having a child. Well... It's just not a good thought to the Romans. They're really particular with oaths, you know. If you break one, they'll always give you the cold shoulder or even execute you. It depends on what oath you break though."

"Tough crowd to please." Leo smiled a really crazy, carefree smile. "Wait. Since you're Athena's daughter, does that make you and Annabeth siblings?"

I chuckled, "It doesn't necessarily mean like that. We children of Athena, we're born differently like our mother. Athena just thinks that she wants a child and then you'll just pop out of the blue." I felt my face flush. I'm not really comfortable with the thought of the way I'm born, you know -- popping out of the blue just because your mother wants a child.

"So what does being an Athena kid got to do with fixing things?" he suddenly apologized, "I'm sorry for being so nosy and inquisitive."

"No problem," I assured him. I've never had any fun talking with other people except with Hazel and Frank. I have to admit, I'm enjoying our conversation.

I stood up and answered his question, "It's because mom gave me a rare gift. I can use spells."

WOOD THAT IS BROKEN SHALL BE FIXED ONCE MORE,

STONE CHIPPED FROM PILLARS WILL BE AS IT IS BEFORE,

IMPERIAL GOLD ON THE CROWD EMBED,

SHALL RISE UP AND BE USED AS WEAPONS AGAIN.

As I said those words, everything moved exactly into place. The broken wheels was now replaced by a brand-new carriage. The cracked pillars and cement rubble now stood tall and firm. Not a single wheel or pillar was out of place. Instead of a desolate place, the open field now transformed into a building -- exactly as it was before it had been destroyed by the giants. But the most amazing sight were the golden weapons glittering under the sun. Weapons of different kinds, shapes and sizes resurfaced from underground and basked under the heat of the sun.

Leo's mouth opened wide in amazement. His eyes sparkled and he mouthed a wow and amazing.

"It's done. Now all that's left now is--" I suddenly fell and Leo was just in time to catch me.

"Woah! What's wrong?" Leo asked me, "Are you okay?"

"I don't understand." I shook my head in bewilderment, "I feel weak."

"I guess you just pushed yourself too hard." Leo said, "Jason and I feel that way millions of times whenever we overuse our powers."

“No, it’s different this time. I can use hundreds of spells before I get tired,” I said, my voice still weak, “It’s like…like someone is suppressing my powers.”

A Roman soldier suddenly came and informed us that he had been ordered by Reyna to look for us. It seems like the feast is about to start.

“Can you walk?” Leo asked me.

I nodded sluggishly, “Yes. I think I can.”

Leo slung his arm on my shoulder and helped me walk towards the forum.