Chapter 4: A Strange Voice Is Heard

• Dedicated to Tina Jean

Chapter 4

 * A Strange Voice Is Heard*

 I was in that place again. Exactly where I left off. My father, Miguel Fernandez left the house to do a very important business. I was left with my stepmother, Lara, who told me that she wants to rest and left me alone to my own devices. So, I decided to explore the house a little bit.

The house was a simple bungalow house but is arranged quite neatly. It was like the hands that decorated this abode placed all his/her love into his/her work giving the place a warm and cheerful atmosphere. The dining room led to a small hallway that has four rooms: the first from the far right is my parents' room(where Lara is sleeping). Next to it is the bathroom. Beside it is the guest room which is clearly left empty since we have no guests at this moment. And lastly, the room on the left is mine. The moment I opened the door and went inside , I liked it already. It wasn't small and cramped like my other room. The wall is painted a shade of green --- exactly the way I liked it. And everywhere are books, books, books, and more books. Books as far as the eye can see. How I love this room!

Because I felt so pleased at the sight of this haven, I immediately jumped to the soft comfy bed and read the new book dad gave me.

____________________________________________________________

 I finished reading the very thick book with five hundred and seventy-four pages within three and a half hours. I did everything my dad instructed: reading the book carefully, absorbing every detail, memorizing every line of the prophecies and the role of each and every character. The story was really fun and I enjoyed it very much.

I noticed my door creaking and what I saw made my heart leap up to my throat. Glowing eyes on a hairy black face was peeking on the small opening on my door. Whatever the creature may be, it must've realized that I saw it because it suddenly disappeared.

I swear I'm not hallucinating. The moment the black hairy creature disappeared, swarms of hairy eight-footed creatures filled the room.

Spiders! my thoughts screamed. But, no matter how much I will myself to run and get out of the room --- to escape, my feet just failed me. It wouldn't even budge an inch and I just lay there paralyzed in fear and horror.

Just when the creepy arachnids are about to capsize me, Lara suddenly opened the door.

"Disappear!" she commanded.

The spiders --- oh the horrible lot --- suddenly crawled out of my body, out of my bed and climbed out of the window.

"Are you okay, my pet?" Lara asked.

"How did you ---?" I grew speechless.

"Oh spiders are everywhere. You just need the willpower to drive them out." she said it like it was nothing.

 Just when I was about to argue with what she said, a knock on the front door was heard.

 "Lara?" dad's voice was heard over the door,"Erika? Are you here? I left my keys this morning so I can't open the front door."

Lara smiled devilishly and went out of my room. She answered dad's call, "Coming dear."

 Oh how I hate that woman. But I just don't understand. How in the world could she do that? Is it even possible?

____________________________________________________________

I went out of my room still in a daze. I managed to greet dad with a smile. "Hi, dad."

He suddenly surprised me with a bear hug. "I missed you."

 Such a lovey father. When was the last time since a person has hugged me? I guess I haven't experienced being hugged before.

 "I missed you, too." dad released me from his tight hug."Hey, I just finished reading the book."

 "Great! Enjoyed it?"

 "Yes! Very much."

 He then gave me a little pop quiz like Who was the guy who fired the ballistae on New Rome?or where did Percy and Jason fought with Piper having to save them?

I answered all the questions without sweat.

 "I'm so proud of you Erika."

Now I really want to keep the conversation. It's been a long time since I've talked to a human being except myself (my parents aren't humans, they're demons so they don't count).

"When's the next book?" I eagerly asked.

"On your birthday, October 15. It's just a few days away."

"Why did you just buy the Mark of Athena just now? Since they publish books in the series every year, the book must already be available a year ago."

"Every time I went to the bookstore, they always say it's out of stock. I finally persuaded the store clerk to reserve one for me." he sighed. "But it's not a problem though. I had faith in my daughter's learning and memorization skills." he said while patting my head.

I felt a surge of happiness welling up in my chest. For all the hard work I've done, I have never yet experienced being praised. So this is what it feels like?

"Now pop quiz." dad suddenly interrupted my reverie,"Recite all the gods and goddesses from A to Z and what do they have dominion over."

Now that really puzzled me. Why does dad even bother doing this --- making me memorize and read a bunch of stuff that is obviously fiction? It's not that I'm complaining though. I just find it strange.

And I'm sure I don''t know anything about a bunch of old gods except the ones from Percy Jackson and the Olympians and the Heroes of Olympus Series. But then, I involuntarily blurted out all the gods and goddesses from A to Z. Man, is my memory this good?

I guess it's obvious, the doubting side of me said. This is just a dream and dreams signify the wants and desires of the dreamer. I heaved a sigh wishing this dream would never end.

"But, at least in my dreams, I am better off." I whispered to myself.

But after I said those words, a voice echoed throughout the house. Dad and Lara doesn't seem like they heard it.

This is not a dream, the voice said. This is your reality. The life you lived as Ella Stevenson was the nightmare.

What the voice said boosted up my hopes and I tried to answer it, hoping that it can hear me.

"This is my reality? This isn't a dream?" I desperately asked.

The voice just chuckled and made a sound of delight. "It all depends on you."