Chapter 5: Hunger

Chapter 5

*Hunger*

"Wake up you lazy girl!" my mother said while kicking me in the stomach. "You poor girl" she said in that mock tone of hers while making a pitiful face, "Wake up and cook breakfast for the two of us."

Damn. I seriously want to place my foot into that !@#$%* face of hers. It took all my self-control to resist the temptation to do so. I went down the kitchen to cook the bacon and fry the eggs.

While I was preparing for breakfast, I pondered on what that voice said to me. This is not a dream. This is your reality. the life you lived as Ella Stevenson was the nightmare. Was that really true? Is this just a nightmare?

Because I was too distracted with what the voice said, the egg got a little burnt on one side.

My mother and I then sat down on the table to eat breakfast. Upon seeing the burnt eggs, she cursed under her breath.

"You careless child! Why can't you pay attention to what you're doing?"

With all these said, she grabbed my cheeks, forced my mouth open and dumped all the eggs inside. My uvula must've been hit because by now, I seriously want to vomit. Worst of all, I hate eggs. Especially when they're forced down your throat by an imbecilic mother.

I can't hold up all the eggs in my mouth. I ran hastily to the kitchen sink and threw up. After this experience, I swear I'm never burning another stupid piece of egg again.

By the time I managed to recover and clean up my mess on the sink, all the bacon was already eaten.

Rising up from her seat, my mother then said," Make sure you wash the dishes well. You wouldn't want a replay of yesterday's events, won't you?"

She then left the house in a fancy, glittering red dress. It only reached up to her knees revealing her flawless white legs that probably made men crazy. And despite how old mom is, she really looks beautiful in any dress she wears.

"Is she attending another party again?" I asked myself. By the way dad said it last night, it looks like he knows nothing of mom's travels.

I have a really bad feeling. I think mom is doing something behind our backs.

"Bah, who cares anyways! I don't give a damn about her. I don't care about my life! I don't even care about anything anymore." I said it out loud that I shut my mouth in realization that the demon might have heard me. Or maybe a nosy neighbor. I hope not.

I washed the dishes and did the laundry. After I am done, I cleaned my room first then moved on to the other parts of the house, in case mom or dad has anymore complaints.

After inspecting that every room is arranged and ship-shape, I retired to my room and tried to read the Son of Neptune just to forget my hunger.

I read about Phineas, an evil seer who was blinded by Zeus because Phineas gave away too many secrets about the gods that are supposed to be kept hidden. Zeus commanded the harpies to take away Phineas' food so that he won't have anything to eat.

But now, when Gaea is in control, the harpies are now eternally cursed that they could never eat food again from anyone's table except from the old seer. And since the harpies can't die because Gaea's forces are now taking over the Doors of Death, the harpies are to suffer hunger forever.

And that was where Percy, Hazel and Frank came in.

The trio needed Phineas' ability in order to locate Alcyoneus' location so that they could prevent him from waking up and therefore dooming the whole world. The old seer only promised to offer his services only if they would catch a red harpy named Ella.

"She has the same name as me." I chuckled. And then the clock suddenly rung which means that it is already two o'clock. I remembered my hunger but what could I do? Mom made a rule in the house to never ever touch the food in the refrigerator without her's or dad's permission.

I tried to read on until I heard the clock chime again. It's three o'clock already.

"When is mom coming home?" I impatiently asked. Now, I swear I'm hallucinating. The world is spinning clockwise then counterclockwise. Indistinct images pop out of nowhere and my stomach is rumbling like a drum. It sure does hurt like heck.

The clock chimed again marking the start of a new hour. Still no sign of the demon. I feel like I'm near fainting and I'm having a hard time breathing. I also feel like something is mercilessly punching my stomach.

"Water." I remembered reading that in a book once. "You drink water when you're hungry."

I stood up and marveled at how hard it is to keep my balance. I tried to walk to the kitchen to get a glass of water but I felt so weak tat I have to use the wall as support.

When I finally got into the kitchen, my vision got blurry. Then, it was all black.