Chapter 6: Saying Goodbye Is the Hardest Thing to Do

• Dedicated to Kathleen Fullbuster

Chapter 6

*Saying Goodbye Is the Hardest Thing to Do*

I woke up in a room. I remembered my hunger and how I fainted at the kitchen so I though this must be a continuation of the past hallucinations. But, as I clearly observed the surroundings, I was in my other room. Downstairs, I can hear the sound of the clattering of pans, the sound of glass colliding and the indistinct sounds of people shouting strange things like bring in the meat or please pass the carrots.

"What in the world is happening?" I asked myself in bewilderment.

I got out of the bed and took off my pajamas and shirt. I looked at my reflection in a mirror beside my bed and I really marveled at what I saw.

Erika Fernandez looked really different from Ella Stevenson. The of right now had soft black shoulder-length hair tied in a half-moon. My black eyes glittered with joy --- so completely opposite my lifeless, stressed eyes. My face always smiled and radiated an aura of sheer happiness while Ella's face and pain and depression written all over it. It's like Ella on longer knew how to smile.

I suddenly heard a knock on my door.

"Erika? Are you awake?" I heard my dad's voice say on the other side of the door.

"Yes, dad. Why?"

He suddenly opened the door and barged into my room. He scooped of into his big burly arms and hugged of so tight that I can hardly breath.

"Happy birthday, Erika!"

Huh? I don't understand a thing he was saying. But, a thought suddenly popped into my brain that made me remember that today, October 15, was my birthday.

"Thanks dad." I answered.

"Looks like you're already dressed. We're going out to buy the new book. Would you like that?" he asked.

"The House of Hades?" I couldn't believe what I just heard, "It's like the BEST GIFT ever!"

"We're leaving in a few minutes. After we buy the book, we're gonna have a party. Lara prepared a feast in the backyard."

So that explains the enticing scent of done emanating through the house. But the thought of Lara cooking the done for us made me shudder.

____________________________________________________________

Going to the mall lasted for several minutes. I hopped out of the car and impatiently told dad to hurry up.

"Okay, okay. Don't be too rash or you might trip." he said while closing the car doors.

"Hurry up, dad!"

We went to the bookstore where we last bought the Mark of Athena. We tried to look for it since the salespeople are too busy accommodating other people who are customers like us.

"It's usually in the kids corner." I dragged dad towards the middle of the bookstore where the books for kids 12 years old and below are displayed.

After searching for a needle in a haystack, we finally found the House of Hades. We were about to pay for it in the counter when dad suddenly stopped in his tracks and turned deathly pale.

"Dad, what's the problem?" I inquired.

He has somewhat recovered but the look of dread was still written all over his face.

"Look, Erika." he knelt down and faced me, "Listen to me very clearly and on questions asked. You must take the exit and get out of here as fast as you can. Go straight home, understood?"