Chapter 14: The Praetor Disappears

Chapter 14

[Erika Fernandez]

*The Praetor Disappears*

 About one and a half years had passed since I earned my first stripe. No matter how hard I tried to make friends with the other Romans, I just won’t fit in.

 Little by little, I learned the Roman ways. I learned their way of fighting, how to use their weapons, especially their gods and goddesses.

 Then one day, everything changed.

 After the battle at Mt. Orthrys where Jason toppled the black throne, he immediately became voted as praetor. But one day, he suddenly disappeared. The last thing he did before retiring to the principia was stargazing with me at the secret spot I found near the Fifth Cohort’s barracks. After that, we said goodnight to each other. Then the next thing we know, he disappeared into thin air.

 Bad luck was on my side. Octavian apparently blamed me for Jason’s disappearance since I was the last person who was with him. I got questioned by Reyna’s metal dogs, Argentum and Aurum, big-time. As expected, the two dogs didn’t find me lying since I was innocent.

 No matter what the dogs’ reactions were, Octavian and Reyna still didn’t believe me. But since they don’t have any evidence that I was guilty, they couldn’t do anything about it. But they have been giving me the cold shoulder and everyone is more wary of me ever since.

 It was the worst thing ever. Having Jason as a friend and confidant made all my sadness and loneliness dissipate. But now, with him gone, I am alone as an island.

  Everything turned out right when a girl named Hazel Levesque arrived at Camp. His brother, Nico di Angelo brought her in and asked Reyna to let her join the Camp. She is the daughter of Had --, I mean, Pluto. Like the daughter of a Greek goddess, she was also being avoided like the plague.

 She became a full member of the legion after saving Dakota from being trampled on by a herd of unicorns. She got into the Fifth Cohort because I stood up for her when no one did.

 We became best friends. We always watch each other’s backs and we’re always there for each other whenever things get rough. I don’t know about her, but for me she is a gift from Heaven.

 And things have become much more fun as a guy named Frank Zhang, with a babyish face with big bulky arms and a body like an ox, came. He seemed awfully attached to Hazel and I sometimes set up the two of them to be alone together. When it comes to two demigods with a spark, I am like cupid or Aphro --, I mean, Venus, I do every means possible to get the two together.

 With two friends by my side, I never felt lonely again. True, I still miss Jason. But somehow Hazel and Frank diverted my attention. I was happily contented with them.

 Until Percy Jackson showed up.

 It was just a regular day at camp, with me and my fixing duties. I earned that job because I was good with my hands just like Hepha --, I mean, Vulcan’s spawn. Hazel and Frank were guarding the entrance to New Rome when suddenly, Percy arrived with two gorgons chasing after him. The two gorgons looked stupid – wearing Bargain Mart uniforms.

 He was carrying a very ugly and wart-skinned lady. She was so fat that I couldn’t believe that Percy was able to carry her all the way to New Rome.

 When the two gorgons managed to reach the banks of the Little Tiber, Percy made the water of the river to obey his will – saving Frank and Hazel’s lives.

 Then Percy got to join Hazel and Frank on a mission – an impossible mission to defeat Alcyoneus in Alaska. And I got to be left alone again in Camp Jupiter.

I felt so happy when I heard that the three of them successfully completed an impossible mission given by Are --, I mean, Mars. Finally, Hazel and Frank can join me again in the Fifth Cohort. I would never be alone again.

 What I thought was wrong.

 When Hazel and Frank went home, they are kind to me, but the usual friendliness is gone. They always hang out now with Percy, leaving me with the broken pillars and pegasi carriages and broken, damaged buildings as companions.

 We Romans received news from Percy about a coming warship or trireme or something. He said something about the Prophecy of Seven unfolding and that seven demigods from either Greek and Roman camps must come together and fight with the giants.