Chapter 12 - The Mindless, Irresponsible Decision

Embarrassment. Hurt. Shock.
I was feeling all these things, but the anger outweighed every other emotion.

“Was anything real? The honest conversations I thought we had, the out-of-the-blue sweet gestures, the time we spent playing paintball and bowling. Was even a single one of your stupid words heartfelt?”

I had never in my wildest dreams imagined that the day would turn out this way.

But wait.
I’m getting ahead of myself. The day began just like any other....

It had been almost a month and a half since my first date with Aaron. We’d grown pretty close over the span of the numerous hangouts we’d had, but somehow I always kept seeing that flash of confusion in his eyes.
Quite often, I’d written it off as tricks of my mind, but a teeny-tiny part of me was scared.

Scared of the moment when that confusion would finally make an appearance and spoil everything.
Aaron would probably come to his senses and realise that he shouldn’t be wasting his time a “nobody” like me.

Truthfully, I wasn’t ready for that to happen, because even though I would never admit it, I’d really enjoyed spending time with him and his teasing and taunting.

But most importantly...

I had fallen for him.

There. I said it.
I had fallen for Aaron Miller.
And even though he was the worst person to fall for, I didn’t regret it.
It was undoubtedly the most careless, mindless and irresponsible decision I’d made in the sixteen years of my life, but I couldn’t undo it now, even if I wanted to.

And I didn’t want to...my heart had made that very clear.

~*~

I entered school in a very bright mood. Today, I was going to tell Aaron how I felt.
It didn’t matter if he didn’t like me back.
No. It didn’t matter at all.
That’s what I kept telling myself, while my heart was thudding against my rib cage and it felt like the sound was amplified in the empty hallway that I was walking through.

But if I had been scared of having a heart attack earlier, it was nothing compared to what I was feeling a few seconds later.
My heart had stopped beating completely.

Aaron was standing across the hallway.

With some bimbo wrapped in his arms.
Like a freaking Christmas present in wrapping paper.

Don’t do it, Avery. Stay away. Breathe.
Don’t walk over to him. That will only lower your self respect.
Walk away!

“Why would you do this?”

But of course. I had to open my stupid mouth.

Aaron looked up and whispered something to the girl, who turned around and walked away.
He spoke to me as if this was totally normal.
“Oh good. You’re here. What’s up?”

He was starting to really get on my nerves now.
“That’s not an answer to my question.”

“Well, the petty games were getting a bit boring, don’t you think? After the alley incident, taking it up a notch was the next step.”

“So this whole time you were playing me.”

He shrugged nonchalantly. “What can I say? Revenge is awesome entertainment, especially when it concerns a self righteous goody-two-shoes like you.”

What had I done to deserve this crap?

“Was anything real?  Was even a single one of your stupid words heartfelt?”
My voice almost broke at the end, but somehow I was able to hold myself together.

Another flicker of confusion.
This time it passed as quick as a lighting flash across his face, and even though her sneered at me, it was unmistakable.

“I knew you’d fall for the ‘turning over a new leaf’ act and you did, just like I predicted. I was a player and you thought you were the reason I was becoming a better person. It’s always like that. Every girl wants to be the one for whom the player changes his ways. But guess what? I’m not the clichéd hero in your idiotic, senseless fairytale.”

“Well congratulations, Aaron. You have managed to do what you so desperately wanted. You broke my heart. Are you satisfied? Will you let me live my life in peace now, or is there some more tormenting you wish to do?”

My voice was a few octaves higher than normal and by now a huge crowd of students had formed, who were staring silently.
I wasn’t one for public confrontations and I hated making a scene, but right now I really didn’t care.

The guy I was about to confess my liking for, had just told me that every moment we’d spent together till now, had been nothing but a part of his plan to pay me back for crossing paths with him.

Everything had been a lie.

“Awh! Are you gonna cry too? Like every other pathetic girl I’ve dumped?” Aaron asked in a patronising tone.

My reply rang clear and cold through the hallway. Devoid of every emotion.
“You’re forgetting something. I’m not every other girl.”

And I did what I least expected of my usually composed self.

With all the strength I had, letting the anger and humiliation drive my fist, I punched Aaron.

------------------------------------------

Author’s Note: Tell me whaddya think ;)

I know it's really short, but pleeeease cut me some slack since I updated twice within almost a week...? :O

Vote, fan, send me banners, covers...anything! xD

Also a shout out to redlilac78  for her book Death To Come
Check it out ^^

Until next time
Ciao!
I love you :*

Song: My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark - Fall Out Boy ♥

Xoxo
~Av~