Chapter 1 - The First Encounter

Why is it that in high school everyone always wants so desperately to be popular?

This is the question that springs up in my mind as I enter school and see all the girls adjusting their clothes, hair and makeup, while talking animatedly about the latest gossip and what not. It seems as if gossiping about boys and becoming the next head cheerleader or homecoming queen is their only aim in life.

I simply avoid all the drama and walk straight to my locker. It's not like I'm a social outcast or anything, I just don't like to go out of my way to look pretty or to get guys to notice me.

Oh, by the way, I'm Avery Gradson, a sixteen year old, studying at Radley High and I admit I am not exactly the most well known figure throughout the school, but majority of the sophomore class knows me.

As I walk through the hallway, I smile at the familiar faces and a few people compliment me on the T-shirt that I'm wearing. I must say, it feels good to know that people like it, especially because I spent a whole twelve hours making that.

I started making some of my own clothes a few years ago. And now, at least fifty percent of my wardrobe is self made. I guess the creativity runs in the family.

I also have an older sister, Shanaya. While I am practical, focused and a total 'good girl' (yeah, I'm done denying it- I'm a nerdy good girl), she is the exact opposite of me. She has that spunky, outgoing personality which everybody seems to love instantly. Although, the instant love could also be because she is everything that most guys want and everything that most girls want to be.

Anyway, I should probably stop with the autobiography and instead pay attention to what my math teacher is saying; she has already given me the 'don't think I can't see you' look.

~*~

"Hey, I don't think I'll be able to come to pick you up today. One of the waitresses hasn't turned up so I have to fill in for her. I am really sorry. But I've asked one of my friends to drop you home instead, if that's okay with you." I could hear the worry in Shanaya's voice as she spoke over the phone.

"Yeah, that won't be a problem, as long as I can trust the person and I don't get kidnapped or something." I said, as I sat down on one of the benches on the roadside.

Shanaya replied with a laugh, "Nah, don't worry about that."

I attend music lessons thrice a week, not far from the place where Shanaya works after her college hours. Since she is my only mode of transport, it's a good thing that she doesn't mind the chauffeur duty, because music means everything to me.

It is only in such times that I wish I could get my driver's license quickly. I hate being too dependent on others; it's inconvenient for them and if their plans change, I'm left hanging. Ugh.

I checked my watch for the second time in five minutes and just as I looked up, I saw a biker coming down the road. He looked like he'd come straight out of a movie, dressed in all black on a black motorcycle.

I wasn't the kind of girl that random guys usually noticed, so imagine my surprise and confusion when he stopped right in front of me.

Taking off his helmet, he said, "Hi. Are you the girl that Shanaya asked me to give a lift to?"

When I saw his face, I immediately recognised him and all the thoughts of the guy being hot disappeared completely. When Shanaya had said 'friend', I thought she meant one of the girls from school who were always falling over themselves to help her. Why, of all people, did it have to be this guy?

"Oh. You have got to be kidding me. Aaron Miller?"

Confusion momentarily showed on his face but was soon replaced by a blank expression.

"Wow. I knew I was famous, but I had no idea that even chicks like you knew who I was."

The way he looked me up and down from head to toe with that glint in his eye, annoyed me. A lot.

"I know you're awestruck by my charm and all, but I'd like it if you answer my question before I get bored and drive away."

That definitely snapped me out of my thoughts. "Oh! Sorry. Yes, I am the one Shanaya must have told you to drop home..and..thanks for the lift."

He just gave a slight nod of acknowledgement and handed me his helmet as I climbed on the back of the bike, sitting awkwardly since I wanted nothing more than to get away from this guy.

Unfortunately, he drove like a maniac and I was forced to hold on to his shoulder to keep myself from getting flung off the bike. Hate to admit, I did like the feel of his tense muscles under my hand.

Suddenly I remembered that I never told him where he was supposed to drop me.

"Um...I forgot to tell you the address. It's No. 12, Mayson Lane, right behind your house."

He looked back at me over his shoulder. "Shanaya's place?"

"Keep your eyes on the road or you'll get us both killed!" I shouted. He just snorted as I continued, "Well, technically it is our parents' place and I live there too."

"Wait. You're the younger sister she talked about once? I always thought you were like ten."

"Nope. Last I checked, I was definitely sixteen. And I've been your neighbour for the past four years. That's how I know you."

"That's weird. How come I've never seen you around before?"

"If you haven't noticed, the silent, inconspicuous girl is usually invisible to the obnoxious, popular bad boy. That's the social order of life."

"Ah, I see we have a severe case of judgy-bitch-syndrome here. You don't even know anything about me."

"Trust me, I know enough. I know that you're a complete party animal and that every single time there's some poor girl who thinks she's your girlfriend but gets dumped by the end of the party."

"You've been stalking me. It's a bit too much, but I can understand why you're so attracted to me. Everyone is."

I couldn't see his face but I could bet he was smirking. This guy's ego was so big; it probably wouldn't fit in the whole of the Amazon Basin.

I retorted with, "You wish. I know all this stuff only because it's kinda hard to ignore the jerk that plays loud music at odd hours and disturbs everyone, especially when he lives a mere few feet from my bedroom window."

"Do you always talk like this?"

We had reached my house so I got off the bike, taking off the helmet and giving it to him.

"Forget it. I can't expect a guy like you to understand a word of what I say." I gave him the same look that he'd given me before and I totally got why they say revenge is sweet.

As I started walking away, he shouted after me, "Hey! At least tell me your name."

"Avery." I said as I looked back to see him smiling and oh boy...that was one beautiful smile. I felt myself smiling back at him involuntarily.

I immediately mentally chided myself for doing that. Giving that idiot a smile was the biggest mistake I'd ever made.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW STORY!

Like it? Tell me whatchya thinkin'

Song: You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift <3

Xoxo
~ Av ~