Interview with Author: esoteric918 (Vicky C)

WATTPAD AUTHOR INTERVIEW

'Vicky' happens to be, in my own opinion, the author of some of the best werewolf stories that this site has to offer. Her stories are unique, well-thought-out twists on the werewolf genre and I enjoyed every single one of them. I was honoured when Vicky replied and accepted my offer to do this interview, so thankyou and I look forward to seeing what stories you'll post in the future!

Thankyou for allowing me this small chance and insight into your mind and your stories!

Name: esoteric918 (Vicky C)

Age: 24

Author of: It's Complicated, Everything Changes, Starting Over, The Hunt, Twisted Fate, and Changed Fate

When exactly did you join Wattpad and why? What possessed you to join this particular community of writers/readers?

     I joined Wattpad because I was tired of the site I was on. I was originally on Quizilla, but they changed a lot of things, so I grew frustrated and left. I also tried out another site, but I didn't like it. I don't remember exactly how I stumbled across or why I joined Wattpad, but I'm glad I did.

Were you writing before you joined Wattpad - if so, for how long - or was it Wattpad what inspired you to start writing?

      I was writing before I joined Wattpad. I started writing almost ten years ago. As I said, I started on Quizilla, where I wrote a vampire book. Now that I look back at it, my first story was a mess!

Are you surprised by the overall response you've received by the people of Wattpad? Has the success and popularity of your stories affected you in any way - and if yes, how?

     I am very surprised, and thankful, of the response I've received on Wattpad. I like to think that the success and popularity hasn't affected me, if anything, it makes me want to write more so that I don't lose the readers that I have.

If we take your story, Twisted Fate, into the spotlight, what was your original inspiration? Where did the idea for such a story spring up?

      The idea for Twisted Fate was an idea that I came up with a few years ago. As most of my ideas, it came from daydreaming when I was supposed to be doing something important. After I wrote It's Complicated and Everything Changes, I wanted to work on something different. Twisted Fate just happened to be the story that I chose to work on next.

I've noticed that you write a lot of stories about werewolves and you've even declared yourself as a werewolf writer. What exactly got you into werewolves and what do you find so appealing about that particular supernatural genre?

      My appeal towards werewolves comes from the fact that I love reading about the supernatural. My first werewolf novel was Moon Called, by Patricia Briggs. Everyone can blame her for my obsession.

Do you read on Wattpad, and if so, what types of stories do you read - examples?

     I do read on Wattpad. I read a lot of different genres, from cowboys, to dragons, to historical romance. I have a lot of favorite books on Wattpad. I had a reading list labeled: Eso's Suggested Stories where I keep all of my favorites. I've read most of conleyswifey, Sweetpeas, Inkspacezero, Mercyrose, Maya_2011, and may other authors stories. Usually when I find a story I like, I look at what else that author has uploaded to Wattpad.

Have you ever seriously thought of getting your works published professionally - or even self-publishing?

     I think it would be amazing to get traditionally published, but I, honestly, don't think my work is up to par with that yet. Maybe in a couple years of good writing experience, I will rework what I have and try to get something published. 

Why do you write? Is it a hobby, an outlet of emotions, or just something you find that you're good at and enjoy?

      All of the above? I like to write and I only work part time, so it's definitely a hobby. It's an outlet for emotions, and for my imagination. I don't know what I would do if I had to keep all these characters in my head. I think that I've grown as an author in this past yet. I don't think I'm fantastic, but I'm definitely getting better at expressing what I see going on in my imagination.

How would you go about handling a harsh, rude comment that offers you no constructive criticism when it comes to improving your writing?

     I ignore it, mostly. If they have nothing to tell me why they don't like it, I really don't care. I'm too old to deal with kids telling me they hate my book. It's free! If you don't like it, there's a cool button at the top left corner that can get my story off of your screen. And I have a few readers who rip those guys a new one. I really don't have to bother.

As far as constructive criticism, I appreciate it. I grow as an author when someone offers me their suggestions or opinions. It helps me develop the story and ultimately become a stronger writer.

Following on from that question, do you think that Wattpad is a good place to get honest and helpful reviews, and why?

     Yes and no. Of course, when you get people who are insightful and give their opinions without being rude, it's very helpful. But then, there are people on the site that think you suck and should delete everything you've written. You just have to have the right kind of readers.

Do you have any new stories that you're going to be working on in the near future?

      I do have a few ideas I've been working on. People want to go back to Casey or Emily, so I might dip back there. I have a story I'm working on that doesn't have a single werewolf in it. I will just have to see what happens when I have time to develop those ideas.

Is it only the werewolf genre that you write or have you ever - or thought of - dabbling into other genres?

      I have written a vampire story and I've written a witch story, both of which will never see the light of day because they were written when I was fourteen years old. Go to the cliche section on wattpad, the general idea is there.

Do you think that as you write, some of your own personal beliefs, traits and faults are shown in your words and in the characters you are writing about?

       I'm more than positive that it happens. I come up with the characters, so there has to be some of my personality coming through with them. Casey has a power that I would love to have. Mason's a smart ass, something my mother accuses me on a daily basis. I think there's some kind of version of me in every character I've written about.

If you could meet ONE of your own characters in flesh and blood, who would it be and why?

      Mikko. He's absolutely my favorite, most messed up character, and I would love to just give him a big hug. He needs it. I was very cruel when I made him and sometimes I feel bad about it...sometimes.

Imagine that you got the chance to have a story of yours turned into a movie, which story do you think you'd put forward, and why?

      The Hunt. It has action, it has drama, it has betrayal, triumph, and ends with it's own little miracle. The characters backgrounds could be edited into the movie somehow.

Now onto a different kind of question: Do you have a favourite phrase/quote, and why?

      Quiet people have the loudest minds. - Steven Hawking

I think the quote is relevant to me. No Steven Hawking level, but it makes me think.