Interview with Author: AuRevoirSimone (Keev)

WATTPAD AUTHOR INTERVIEW

'Keev', or AuRevoirSimone is one of the most talented authors I've had the privilege of talking to on this site! Her story, A Beautiful Torment, was one of my total favourites before it was taken down so that she could try and get it published! Interviewing her was one of the funniest, most interesting experiences I've had on Wattpad and she gave me realy thorough and lengthy answers which I am thrilled about as I love getting to know the authors better and one-line-answers just don't do it.

Name/Username:  Caoimhe (or Keevs/Keev)/AuRevoirSimone

Age: 20

Author of: [Feeling the strangest urge to adapt a Troy McClure voice when I say this lol!] A Beautiful Torment, Wildfire, The Reluctant Cheerleader.

When did you first join Wattpad, and why did you?

      I joined in April 2012 (according to my profile thingy). I was poking around on fictionpress, looking for something to read, when I noticed somebody talking about something called “wattpad” in one of their author’s notes and I thought, “Hmm…” I created an account so I could vote for peoples’ stories.

Was it discovering Wattpad that inspired you to start writing, or were you writing before, and if so, for how long and what was your original inspiration?

      Oh god, I’ve been writing for years! If you ask my mother, I was telling stories before I could talk properly. I used to make up the endings to the stories my dad would tell me before I went to bed. I wrote my first ‘proper’ story when I was seven – I have this weird fascination with paper (have you ever just wanted to scribble all over a really clean piece of paper?!) and my mother had just bought this really fancy notebook with gorgeous paper inside, and I just knew that I really, really, really wanted to write in it. So I did, and got in trouble for my efforts lol! I found out later that my mother had kept the story, though, and she’s planning on embarrassing me with it, I’m sure!

Your story, A Beautiful Torment, got an incredible response before you took it down, how did you come up with the story idea and how long did it take you to write it?

          A lot of the storylines and themes that I used in A Beautiful Torment came from other stories that I tried to write years ago, but gave up on because I never felt like they were good. I really lacked confidence in my ability to tell a story all through my teenage years, so I never got around to finishing more than two or three of them – ever. But I remember I heard the song “Dark in my Imagination” by Of Verona while I was on a bus somewhere (I get most of my ideas while travelling, for some reason) and a scene sort of unfolded in my head. It was the scene where Isabel found Wyatt in the woods, except in this version she was much younger, maybe seven years old, when she woke up from a nightmare and snuck out of the house to find Wyatt dying in the snow.

At the time, I had been reading a lot of books that featured emotionally abusive relationships, and something about that struck a chord with me. I started imagining what it would be like to be bonded to somebody for life – somebody with the potential to control you or take away your free will. Although I never got into it in the draft that I posted on Wattpad, I think that’s one of the main things I want to tackle with the series – the idea of free will. Anyone who has heard me rant about werewolf mate stories knows that I hate the idea of not being able to choose who you love, but it’s more than that. It’s not having the freedom to live life the way you want to.