Interview with Author: xanthis (Daqri)

WATTPAD AUTHOR INTERVIEW

'xanthis' has written some of my personal favourites on Wattpad, and has been incredibly successful in getting her works known. Her books are, in my own personal opinion, very professionally written and constantly surprising me with the original twists! I wish you luck in the future and in future writing, I hope you get achieve your goal of being a full-time author! You definitely deserve it!

Name/username: Daqri Combs (xanthis - was diebitch and CliffyQueen)

Age: 17

Author of: (listed in order of completion) Tortured, Feral Passion, Sin of Fury, Logan's woman, Captive

When did you first join Wattpad, and why? What possessed you to join?

          I had my first account in ’09. I had gotten my first iPod and I was into reading bigtime, so I typed in “Books” in the search thing, and found wattpad.

Was it Wattpad that first inspired you to start writing, or were you writing beforehand, and if so, how long have you been writing?

          I had started writing my first story a couple weeks before finding wattpad, actually. It all just fell in line, I guess. xD Started writing, found the site, and posted my first story.

Can you remember your first story - can you give us a little information about it? (your inital inspiration, etc)

        The reason I started writing was because I couldn’t find the story that I wanted to read. So I wrote it, and I guess that’s just how I’ve been looking at it since then.

Do you enjoy writing, and why?

       I hate writing. It gives me headaches and just makes me hate myself. And no, I’m not lying. I think almost all of my fans know this by now.

Has Wattpad affected how you write, your style, how often, etc?

        Well, it definitely makes me feel superior, if that means anything. I mean, when I try to read a story, all I can think about is how terrible and unrealistic it is. Plus, being surrounded with One Direction shit just puts the cherry on the shake.

Do you think Wattpad is a good place to get constructive criticism, and why?

        No. There are very few reviewers that actually do a good job of helping other writers. Wattpad is for amateur writers. So getting amateur help is just pointless for improving.

Do you believe that, in your writing and your characters, you show some of your own personal, individual traits that are unique to you?

       Well I’ve heard it from my fans numerous times, so I guess so. I don’t really have an opinion of myself other than I hate almost everything, but my characters don’t hate everything, so you can make of that what you will.

I see that you've self-published some of your completed works, at what point did you decide you wanted to be an author? And do you wish to be a full-time author?

    I decided I wanted to be an author when I realized that people were getting lost in my works. The comments from my fans are a huge encouragement and make me see that people find more in my writing that I do. And yeah, I do want to become a full-time author.

Do you think that the influence of your fans affects how you want a story of yours on Wattpad to turn out, and if so, how?

       Fuck no. My fans get what they get. I have a certain way I want a story to turn out, so I go by my rules not theirs.

I've read your story Captive and personally, I loved it. Was it hard to write and where do the inspiration for such a creative story spring up?

       It wasn’t hard for me to write. It came naturally, easier than any other story. I write it in 50 days. Blame it all on Barbie movies and Justin Timberlake.

Do you read on Wattpad? Yes? No? Why?

       Nope. I don’t want to taint my good tastes by lowering myself to the crap that is wattpad. I only stay on wattpad because people enjoy what I write, and I don’t want to take that from them.

Can you state some of your favourite books/authors off of Wattpad, and if possible some ON Wattpad - if there are any?

OFF wattpad - Sherrylin Kenyon, Shelly Laurensten, JR Ward, Diana Palmer.

ON wattpad - 0

In your opinion, do you think that Wattpad is more of a social networking site compared to a site where you can get good honest feedback?

       I don’t really care for all of this social networking site crap that everyone seems to have a problem with. Like, how else are you going to get more readers if you can’t connect with other people easier? Plus, now that meebo is gone, it would be stupid for people to complain about it being a social networking site.

Do you have any before/during/after writing rituals or conditions that MUST be met before you can write? The more unusual, the better!

        Peanut butter.

        Love me some peanutbutter.

Has your success on Wattpad affected you in any way?

        Nope. I was big on wattpad before, didn’t really do much for me then either. Honestly, all it does is tell me that people like what I’m writing, so I should prolly continue. The only part of being successful is the support from my readers. They’re like the family I never had.

I've heard some say that they dislike the way you go about your "vote" goal and your attitude on Wattpad, what have you got to say to these people?

        They can fuck off. Like, seriously, they can shove their complaints downtheir throat. I have so many fans that love the vote goal because it gives them a chance to get an update sooner rather than later. My attitude shouldn’t even be a part of the problem, honestly. My personality has nothing to do with my writing. They ask, I give, that should be it. If they don’t like how I’m not a total ass kisser and do-gooder, I don’t really give two shits. I’m not going to change who I am just to make other’s happy, and they’re kind of stupid for even thinking that speaking up is going to change anything.

Also, out of curiosity, do you believe the quote "People who are too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours."?

        Oh yes. From personal experience. That’s all I can say. xD

And lastly - if you could be ANYTHING, what would it be and why?

        Iguana. I was one in my past life.

Thankyou xanthis for the interview and for taking the time to answer these questions - it was incredibly insightful and I really appreciate it! :D