Chapter Twenty - Annie Doesn't Throw Shoes, She Throws Punches.

I think this chapter is longer than my usual ones. I think. It ended up being ten pages on Word. Yeah, I don't know how that happened either. o.0 I think I just like writing about gangs, weirdly enough. So, enjoy! This chapter is dedicated to LaineyBearz as I woke up this morning to a lovely comment from her. :D Thanks!

Chapter Twenty – Annie Doesn’t Throw Shoes, She Throws Punches.

“If anyone says anything offensive to you, or touches you inappropriately, tell me.” Rhys ordered, bringing the car to a stop in front of a pub. Typical, it has to be a pub. However, I was beginning to like these guys already. They had meetings in pubs, what wasn’t to like? They sounded like my type of people already, if I say so myself.

It was dark now, and I could see all the stars twinkling down on us. Man, that was poetic and deep. We were bathed in the darkness as the car lights dimmed and I pulled my jacket on enthusiastically. I honestly couldn’t wait to meet the lads Rhys was in with. They would no doubt be a right laugh. Or just scary. Or maybe both?

Rhys sighed through his nose, and I could feel that he deeply regretted his decision to bring me with him. He eased himself out of the driver’s seat and I scrabbled to unbuckle my seatbelt and hopped out of the car. I smacked straight into Rhys, and he caught me and the car door at the same time. Which took mad skills, I assure you. Not only did he stop me from falling yet he also prevented a car door from slamming loudly. Now that was manly.

“Hey, watch it, shorty.” Rhys teased, wrapping me in a tight embrace so all I could see was his armpit.

“I’m not short. You’re just very tall. And all I can see is your armpit.” I giggled as he tickled me slightly. With another sigh Rhys pulled away but left an arm draped over my shoulders. We started to walk towards the glowing doorway of the pub, and I could hear the commotion going on already. All the other houses on the street were dark inside, and there was no noise elsewhere. 

A shiver shook me, and Rhys pulled me closer to him just as entered the pub. The rolls of heat from the fire in the corner hit me immediately, and the pure noise that met my ears. It was a sunny yellow inside with pictures of local heroes who I recognized covering the walls. The place was empty, aside from the long table in the middle which a group of twenty young men sat around and each had a pint sitting in front of them.

All the young men turned to the doorway to face Rhys and me. A moment of silence happened, and then they all burst into a steady flow of greetings all at once. I scanned them all, searching for a face that I knew. I knew a few from school, but I knew most of them were at least five years older than me. Then Brayden sat on the edge of the table, and he winked at me proudly.

“Long time no see, Rhys!”

“Mate, it’s been so long! Where’ve you been?”

“Rhys, I was beginning to forget what you looked like.”

“Annie, Rhys, nice to see you both again.”

The last one came from Brayden and he lifted his pint glass to his mouth with a smirk. And then all eyes in the room turned to me expectantly.

“Uh, hello.” I smiled, waving at them all. Then a barrage of greetings also aimed at me began. I grinned at them all in turn and I stepped towards the table with Rhys stepping with me. Brayden edged over to his right, and beckoned to us happily. And so, I ended up squished between Brayden and Rhys. With a pint in front of me.

“Ah, ah, ah! You’re not having that now, Annie.” Rhys chastised, and a chorus of boos rang out from all the men. He pulled the pint out of my reach, and shot me a stern look.