Chapter Twelve - Shut Up And Jump Out The Window.

Chapter Twelve – Shut Up And Jump Out The Window.

That disgusting perfume hit my nose, and I felt it wrinkle immediately. The blonde hair swished, and the clack of her high-heels was high pitched against the concrete. In front of me was public enemy number one, the person whose face filled my nightmares, the person who wasn’t what she claimed she was.

Standing in front of me was my darling, ever so kind mother.

“Oh, Anabelle Grace, what are you doing here, honey?” Her nasal voice whined, slowly chipping away at my sanity. With a dramatic squeal she continued, “And Rhys Brady, you’re here too? Well, this is a surprise!” I darted my eyes towards Rhys, almost sniggering at the look of distaste plastered on his face.

“Eh, well, hi. We’re just here for our scan.” Rhys announced cheerily, throwing his arms around me buoyantly. My mother gaped, trying to decide what the hell he meant. I gaped internally, affixing a fake beam on my exterior.

“Yes, twins apparently.” I butted in, enjoying the confused buzz behind my mother’s eyes.

“Or maybe even triplets.” Rhys laughed, flapping his arms in the air.

My mother sighed, before placing her hands on her hips, “I know for a fact that you are not pregnant, Anabelle Grace. I rushed home when I heard the news and Tyson directed me here, apparently you went to a support group, I’m so proud of you! So unlike your father, the stupid old man. He refused treatment, refused support groups. Choose to sit at home and just waste away, he had no sense.”

Rhys fidgeted, his fingers cracking harshly.

Mother blinked in the silence.

I sighed.

“Well, mother, I’m not getting any treatment. I was dragged to a support group, promised a ride on a Harley.” I blurted, not thinking about what I was saying.

Rhys fidgeted, gritting his teeth tensely.

Mother’s eye twitched four times.

I watched them.

“And we’re completing her bucket list!” Rhys chimed his voice unnaturally high.

Mother’s eyes narrowed.

I stifled a giggle.

“And I’m not really pregnant.” I pointed out, hoping to distract her.

“Yet.” Rhys teased, ruffling my fringe with his fingers.

“Anabelle Grace O’Reilly! I’m shocked with you! Running off with boys, letting yourself die and then not bothering to tell your mother that you’re sick!” My mother shrieked, creating a scene like she always did.

“Actually I’m following her around, she’s not running off with me. Wrong way around!” Rhys chipped in, shooting me a quick grin.

“You said you’d stay away.” My mother growled, peeling her lips back in a sneer.

“Things change, O’Reilly. Accept the past and move on.” Rhys argued, towering over her waif like frame.

“I won’t forget what you did to my family, Brady, I won’t forget the pain and damage you caused. I won’t forget what you took away from me.” My mother spoke, venom dripping from her every word. Rhys barked a cold laugh in reply, sucking in air noisily.

My mother reached forward, wrapping her bony fingers stiffly around my forearm and yanking me towards her firmly. She was at least six inches taller than me, and I knew that gave her a slight advantage if I decided to try and pull away from her. I struggled in the opposite direction, trying in vain to get away from her.