Chapter 18

I stared at the sky, a blank and numb feeling overcoming me. I knew it would happen I just couldn't accept it. The 4th night, that's all it took. Faces continued to float in the sky showing the fallen. Lilly. Her face had been suspended in the sky for about 4 seconds. Not long enough for me to accept the fact that she was dead but I know what I saw.

Her face, silver and glowing, also a hologram. It was suspended in the night sky. The Stars dotted her face like freckles, giving her this beauty. The fallen, Lilly had fallen. Lilly, one of my best friends was dead. Gone.

I could imagine the pain. I sat there at a tree stump, the numbness disappearing only to be filled with pain. Layla would be at home, no doubt sitting and screaming at the TV. Maybe she doesn't know, I have no idea what time it is at home. Maybe she wasn't watching the games, though I doubt it. I could picture Persephone at the Capitol, crying in to the arms of Mikayla. Her best friend dead, gone. Lilly was gone. Gone, dead, she's left forever. All that was left of Lilly was memories.

And we didn't have enough. It felt like I couldn't see her even though I could. All I could remember were the bad times and her smile seemed lost to me.

A branch cracked behind me and a parachute had fallen softly to the ground. There sat a trident, a small note attached to the parachute.

Win. For her and for me. Show us she didn't die in vain.

That's all the note said. There was no need to sign it, it was from Persephone. It was handwritten unlike all the other notes I've seen in previous hunger games. Maybe it was on purpose, to make me wake up, to see sense.

It worked.

As another branch snapped the trident flew in to the chest of another tribute. I stared down at my arms splattered with some blood that had sprayed. I pulled the trident and swung it over my shoulder. I glanced back at the body thinking of Lilly.

She would have been like that not long ago, slaughtered by a tribute. Blood covering her small body. Her eyes lifeless and dull, missing their glow.

I could win.

I can win.

I will win.

For Lilly, Persephone and Layla.

I'm coming home.