Chapter 7

" Finnick! There's Seph, are you going to walk with her? "

Grace asks me as she points out the window, her hair getting braided by my mother. I nod and kiss her forehead before running out and joining Persephone.

She looks at me and nods as we walk to the 65th reaping in silence

••••

I reach the town square with Persephone still by my side. I line up to sign in while Persephone goes and stands on the stage. She sits next to mags and holds her hand. My finger gets pricked and I stand next to a boy called Michael. He has a really poor but large family and I heard somewhere his name is in 18 times.

Layla and Lilly pass, each whispering a good luck and squeezing my hand on their way. They stand next to each other in the female section and glance back at me. Layla mouths something to me but I can't understand it so she flashes me a thumbs up. I flash her one back and she turns around.

Our district escort ezmereldy flash walks on the stage, her bubblegum pink hair flowing. Her skin was tainted a pale yellow which she thinks matches her pink hair. Her nails are long and lime green, as is her dress. Her heels are bubblegum pink to match her hair.

" Welcome everybody to the reaping of the 65th hunger games! Isn't this exciting "

She says her voice full of enthusiasm. When she doesn't receive the applause she is expecting she moves on.

" We have two victors with us, Mags and Persephone, and we hope that one of our wonderful tributes this year will join them! "

I glance up at Persephone who has a pale face and is looking at Layla and Lilly, worried for them. Then her gaze is on to me and we lock eyes. She smiles slightly at me and then she looks back to Ezmereldy.

" First, the girls "

She walks over to the bowl, her heels clacking with each step she takes. She looks ridiculous. Her yellow hand reaches in to the bowl, swishing around the hundred of names. She reaches down to the bottom and pulls one out. She walks back to the middle of the stage, the small slip clutched in her hand.

" Layla Forsev "

A sick feeling over takes me as I stare at the lovely red head that I had grown so close to. She didn't get lucky. Layla slowing walks out, her face matching Persephone's. The horrified look set on her face turns emotionless as she begins to walk to the stage.

" LAYLA! "

A voice screams from the crowd. My head snaps over to Lilly who is running towards her. The peacekeepers try to hold her back before she speaks.

" I volunteer as tribute "

She says, a lot quieter than when. She was calling for Layla. Persephone runs off the stage and throws up over the edge. Layla and Lilly hug, tears streaming down both of their faces. Lilly walks to the stage as Layla finds her parents.

" What's your name, love? "

Ezmereldy asks, her voice excited after the events that had just occurred.

" Lilly Makop "

She says quietly in to the microphone. Her face is set, hard and determined, but pale as snow. She scans the crowd and her eyes rest in mine. She smiles at me sadly before staring aimlessly in to the air while Ezmereldy crosses the stage once more.

" The male tribute is Finnick Odair "

He voice called. If Lilly could get paler she just did. My hearts dropped to my stomach as I just stare at the girl on the stage. One of my best friends, and we're in the games together. I silently hope someone volunteers but I know no one will. I walk and begin to climb the stairs. Persephone is sitting curled up in a ball at the edge of the stage with Mags arms wrapped around her.

She gags and goes throw up once more but nothing comes out. Lots of people are looking at her in concern, but she doesn't look at anyone. Not even Me, Lilly or Layla.

" The tributes of the 65th hunger games, Lilly Makop and Finnick Odair! "

We don't bother to shake hands but instead we hug. A tight hug that could be the last one we ever do. Our friendship is officially over, only one can come out. I actually hope it's Lilly, Seph would be lost with out her. Ezmereldy rest her hands on our back and guides us to the justice building. Once there we enter seperate rooms and wait for people to arrive. The first person in my room is Mum and Grace. My dad died a while ago.

" You know her, she's one of your best friends "

Grace says numbly before she hugs me. She starts bawling her eyes out.

" Please come home Finn, I'll miss you too much, you have to promise "

I look at the small girl clutching my waist as I promise. I stand up and hug my mum who has tears in her eyes but is trying to stay strong.

" I love you Finnick "

She whispers, her voice cracking,

" I love you too "

Then a peacekeeper comes in and yanks them out. My sister screams and my mum just leaves the room. The door opens once more revealing a mop of red hair. Layla.

She hugs me tightly and cries in to my shoulder.

" You are two of my best friends, I can't decide who comes home. Just know that I love both of you, your my best friends "

I nod weakly staring at the red head in front of me who has probably already visited Lilly. Her cheeks are stained with tears and her eyes are bloodshot from crying.

" Just make sure one of you come back, ok? "

I nod as she is taken from the room by another peacekeeper. I have no more visitors.

A/N

Hi guys! I decided to a long chapter because I wanted it all to be in one chapter. I can't believe we have to say goodbye to one of them! Poor Layla, having her best friend volunteer. Just reminding you all that I don't own Finnick or any of the character from the hunger games. I don't own the hunger games. That belongs to Suzanne Collins, I only own Em, Layla, Lilly and a few others.

Love you all,
Anna
xxx