Chapter 51

Lauren’s POV

To say Blake was surprised to see me was an understatement. He let me in though, offering his room for me to stay. He slept on the couch most nights anyways so he didn’t have to worry about stairs with his leg. Hunter came over twice in the next three days to apologize. I kept telling him I didn’t care, that it didn’t matter, but that only seemed to make him worse. He kept acting like he expected me to explode in either anger or tears, and when I didn’t, I could see worry in his eyes. I wanted to tell him that it was better this way. Not feeling anything. But I didn’t think he’d understand.

“Just talk to him. He’s going crazy. He didn’t mean it the way it sounded” Ed tells me when I finally answer his call a couple days later.

“I can’t Ed.” I sigh. “I just can’t do this anymore. I’m not some toy that can be thrown in front of the cameras. I’m not a publicity stunt.”

“He didn’t mean it like that—“

“Even if he didn’t, I can’t handle the attention anymore. I can’t find a job because companies are worried about one of their employees making them look bad.”

“I didn’t know…” he says softly and I sigh, shaking my head.

“Nobody did. I only told my family.”

“We could’ve helped. I’m sure I could find you a spot with us. You could work on the website or something”

“This is why I didn’t tell anyone. I don’t want help. I want to do this on my own. I want to be able to look back in ten years and think, look at all the things I did for myself. Do you know what I mean?”

“I do, but at the same time, your friends are there to help.”

“I guess,” I concede. “Look, I’ve got to go, I’ve got a plane to catch.”

“What? Where are you going?”

“To see some friends. Disappear for a while. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Ok. Call Louis” he says quickly before I hang up.  I ignore his order, pocketing my phone. I hadn’t talked to him in the days since the breakup.  Not going to lie, I was half expecting him to fly out in some huge gesture, causing every tabloid or gossip magazine from here to the moon to report on it. But he didn’t and I’m not sure if I should be thankful or disappointed because of it.

It takes us longer to get through the airport security because of the prosthetic leg, but finally we’re on our way to California. When we emerge from the terminal, I’m almost mauled to the ground as Steph and Peyton tackle me.

“Finally!” Peyton shrieks. “It’s so boring without you! How are we supposed to go another semester?” Again, I don’t say anything, standing there unmoving as they attempt to squeeze the life from me. I look past the two girls to see Logan standing a foot or so behind. When I meet his eyes he grins and gives me a small smile. I’m finally released from Steph and Pey’s death grip and I step back beside Blake.

“Guys, this is Blake, Blake this is Steph, Peyton, and you’ve already met Logan.”

“Helloooo Blake” Stephanie says, her eyes lifting as she quite obviously gives him the once over, causing my friends to laugh.

“Sorry Steph, he swings the other way”

“Aww really?” she whines as Blake gives a nod of confirmation.

“So if you’re interested…” he trails off jokingly, looking at Logan. He chuckles, shaking his head.

“Sorry bro. Straight. But I’ll introduce you to my brother if you’d like.”