Chapter 22

Lauren’s POV

The next couple days were more of the same. We’d go to the studio and I’d find some way to entertain myself.  Normally I’d just play on the DS I’d stolen from Louis’ house. When it got time for lunch, we’d either go get food or order in, depending on how whichever song they were working on was going. I’d gotten better at leaving though. I could now make it to the car without running, giving a tight-lipped smile to the people we pass on the way. I still didn’t stop for them, leaving that to the boys they’d come to see. I was actually grateful that I still wasn’t being allowed near a computer. I was almost afraid to know what they were saying about me. From the few tabloids I’d seen, people were sure I was doing this just for the attention, yet at the same time I was rude because I wasn’t stopping to talk with fans. People didn’t make sense. Harry looks up as we walk into the studio today.

“Ed’s coming in today,” he informs us. “He’s got some songs he thinks we’ll like.” I watch as Louis’ face breaks into a smile.

“Great” he says. It was quite obvious this Ed guy was a friend of the boys. About half an hour later, a ginger guy walks into the room.

“Ed!” Harry exclaims, jumping up and giving him a hug. The other boys follow suit and I stay seated, observing their interaction.  There was something about him that just seemed so soothing. Amid all the boys’ crazy, he remained calm. His eyes slowly roam the room, taking in the chaos the boys could create in a week. His eyes finally land on me, and I meet his gaze getting the vague feeling I should know who he is. Louis’ eyes follow Ed’s gaze to me and he breaks into a smile.

“Ed this is Lauren” he says, motioning for me to join the group. I get up, setting the DS on the table.

“Ah yea. Hunter Hayes’ sister right?” he asks, extending his hand. I nod my head in confirmation, shaking his hand. “I’m Ed Sheeran.” Finally it clicks where I’d seen him before.

“Oh yea, you did a song with Taylor Swift right?” I ask, releasing his hand. “Uhh” I say, scrambling for the lyrics. “Cause all I know is we said hello. And your eyes look like coming home. All I know is a simple name, everything has changed.” I sing the verse, motioning with my finger along with the invisible scale in my head.

“Yea” he says with a smile. “Everything has changed.” I grin proud that I’d finally placed where I knew him from. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Louis staring at me.

“What?” I ask, turning to him, increasingly aware of the looks on the other boy’s faces.

“It took you 3 weeks to sing in front of me. The other boys haven’t heard you once. But within five minutes of meeting Ed, you’re singing his song?” he asks dumbstruck. I open my mouth to respond but I don’t know what to say.

“I.. uh.. sorry?” I question embarrassed. I hadn’t realized that had been the case. I hadn’t even intended to sing in front of Ed. There had just been something comforting about the ginger haired boy. Like a giant teddy bear.

“Why?” Louis questions and I shrug, shifting around uncomfortably. I didn’t like feeling like I was put on the spot.

“Give her a break mate” Ed says, sensing my distress. “C’mon, take a listen to the songs” he says, pulling a flashdrive out of his pocket and tossing it to Louis. Louis fumbles to catch it, but finally manages to pin it against his chest and grab it. The boys walk over to the computer, plugging it in and I return to the DS. The music starts up and I recognize Ed’s voice playing over the speakers. He had an interesting sound. It was unlike anything I’d heard before. Not quite pop, but not rock or indie or any other genre I could think of. He kind of just did his own thing.