Chapter 44

Lauren’s POV

“Louis!” I shout in shock as his punch causes Logan to stumble back with a groan of pain. He manages to get another punch in, smashing him right in the nose causing blood to gush out, before I’m able to move and force myself between the two boys. “Louis, what the hell are you doing here?” I shout, grabbing Louis’ arms and attempting to push him back, feeling the muscles underneath strain to get past and attack Logan more. He could easily push me aside, and at first I think he’s going to until some of the boys step into action, pulling him back.

“I flew all the way here to surprise you only to find you all cozy with him?” he shouts, trying to pull himself out to attack him again.

“We were dancing Louis. That’s it. That’s what you do at receptions.” I shout at him as some other guests pull Logan over to a seat a little bit aways to begin tending to his injuries.

“Didn’t look like dancing.” Louis growls, still straining to break free of the other people’s grasps, his face red with rage. “His hands were all over you. He shouldn’t even be here.” I feel a mix of rage and fear building up with every word he says until I feel like I’m about to explode. In two strides, I’m standing in front of where the men had dragged him away from Logan and I reach out and slap him causing a red handprint to appear on his cheek. A silence looms between us and I reach up to slap him again, but he catches my wrist tightly before it comes into contact with his face.

“I told you I was going with a friend,” I yell.

“I thought you meant Steph or Peyton,” he argues back. “Not him” he snaps, his eyes turning to glare at Logan. “If I’d known it was him I’d never have allowed it.”

“Allowed it? Are you joking me? You can’t tell me what I can or can’t do Louis, I’m not some object. You don’t own me” I explode, ripping my hand from his grasp.

“Umm Tweety? This might not be the best time,” Hunter says quietly. I turn my glare to him but he doesn’t flinch, pulling me slightly out of my haze of anger. I turn to see the crowd gathered around us as I realize where we are.

“Look what you’ve done,” I say lowly. Once again, he’d turned an event into something that revolved around him. Just once I was at an event that was supposed to be about someone else, then he showed up and ruined it. “Just get out of here,”

His expression shows one of shock as I turn to walk back over to Logan, whose bloody nose had stained his white shirt.

“Are you ok? I’m so sorry” I hastily apologize as someone approaches with a bag of ice. I quickly sit him down before gently pressing the bag of ice to the purpling skin under his eye. I feel him flinch when the bag comes into contact with the sensitive skin. I hear a scuffle behind me and I glance back just long enough to see Louis storming out. The whirlwind of emotions swirling through me are too much to sort out right now, so I let him go, turning back towards Logan to tend to his wounds. As I work to clean the blood off his face, I glance over to see Madison curled up against Jeremy. A pang of guilt rushes through me and I hand the tissue over to Logan before walking over to where they were standing.

“Madison, I’m so so so sorry. I can’t believe he did that. I just do—“

“It’s not your fault,” she says, cutting me off with a hug. “I don’t blame you. Sometimes these things just… happen” she says with a strained smile. I shake my head.

“No, they don’t. Not to normal people. I’m so so sorry.”

“It’s alright,” she says, trying to calm my breakdown. I can’t help but think of the irony. She was trying to calm me down about her ruined wedding.