Thirteen

Atta stirred and let out a small whimper, he body was drenched in sweat. She squeezed her eyes tighter together and moved her head, lifting her lips and baring her teeth in pain.

One of her wings was outstretched, the dried and fresh blood been washed from her feathers as Mareline cleaned her wound.

'You are safe Atta, just rest, everything will be alright' Toros' voice echoed suddenly in her head, Atta calmed down immediately after hearing the voice of a close dragon friend.

Day after day of resting and healing in the families barn, Atta lay there barely conscious of everything happening around her. Toros barely left her side, Joseph came and went with food for both dragons and Mareline tended to Atta's wing daily. The bite had become infected and needed special treatments.

On a calm morning on the farm, Atta awoke at a dark an early hour. Toros slept soundly beside her, she lifted her head and lifted her neck.

Pushing herself off the ground quietly, she walked with her wings drooped and her posture slouched.
After exiting the barn, sat in front of it and looked up at the purple sky, a single star shone in the distance, then flickered out.

'This is hopeless' Atta thought 'A loyal warrior dragon who can't find her own rider' she looked to where the star had been, 'Star dragon... Aid me in my quest.... Give me strength'

The Star dragon was a legend that only a few dragons knew. The legend was implanted into their minds when the were but eggs.
Star dragon gave the chosen dragons guides to problems, strength,hope and a light when all the others go out. All though, she had never been seen and it was said to be just a tale for children.

Atta ran her tongue over the inside of her lip, one of her teeth knocked out from the battle. A sudden thought struck the white dragon, her tooth! she had to find it, otherwise it would be found and sold to dragon hunters or illegal merchants.

"Atta?! What on earth are you doing up?" Mareline asked, interrupting the dragons thoughts as she turned her head to see the blonde maiden and Toros standing behind her.

'I have to go' Atta whispered into their minds, she lifted her wings and flapped them a couple of times.

"You cannot go! Your wing.... It's..." Mareline faltered along the words.

'What?' Atta's head snapped around to face the two.

"Dark magic was in that creature, the magic has been transferred into you" Mareline had begun to cry.

With her wings still raised, her back turned towards the two but her head twisted over her shoulder, Atta smirked. 'We all have secrets and darkness in our hearts, some just control it better'

The dragon flapped her wings once more and lifted herself into the air, her wing burned with pain, but it went unnoticed by Atta.

'Atta!' Toros whined, he looked up pleadingly at his departing friend.

"Your saddle!" Mareline suddenly pitched in on the yelling, Atta stopped in the air and dropped to the ground.

'Hurry and put it on!' She crouched 'I must be off, I have a hunch' Mareline fastened the saddle on to the dragon, the space at the base of her neck, in between her wings.

Atta then flew off without another word, making her way to where she had crash landed two months ago.