Rubeus Hagrid's File

Name: Rubeus Hagrid.

Nickname: Big H, Hag-Swizzle.

Occupation: Keep of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Distinguishing Characteristics: He is 8.5 feet tall, and three times as wide as an average man.  He has a broad, West Country accent. He has brown eyes and a thick, wiry brown beard and long, bushy hair. He wears bulky clothes and a vest, and often wears dead ferrets around his neck or a belt.

Personality: He has a friendly, softhearted disposition, and is easily driven to tears. He is very loyal to his peers, especially Dumbledore, to whom he refers as the greatest wizard in the world multiple times. As first seen in The Sorcerer’s Stone, he becomes extremely angry whenever anyone insults Dumbledore around him (a mistake made by Vernon Dursley, who called Dumbledore a "crackpot old fool"). Hagrid is also very loyal to Harry, and suffered several times during the series because of this loyalty, and had to go into hiding twice to avoid prison.

Pets: Hagrid has had many pets, most of which have been given to him from men he has met at the pub. These include Fluffy, a three headed dog that guarded the Sorcerer’s Stone. Also, Norbert, a Norwegian Ridgeback dragon he received from Professor Quirrell, Buckbeak, a hippogriff who was condemned to die, but was saved by Hermione and Harry, and put into the ownership Sirius Black, who changed Buckbeak’s name to Witherwings. Also, he has an extremely large boarhound named Fang. (Who has a drooling problem.) As well as Aragog, and Acromantula who Hagrid raised from an egg, and was suspended because of when Aragog was found in the cabinet Hagrid had been hiding him in. (Note: Norbert became known as “Norberta” when Ron’s brother Charlie informs Hagrid that “he” was a girl.)   

Special Abilities: Because of his enormous size and being half-giant, he is less venerable to jinxes and hexes.

Magic Suspension: Hagrid was suspended from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when he was found hiding an Acromantula in a cabinet. The Ministry of Magic broke his wand in two and forbid him from performing magic. But he kept the pieces and attached them to a pink umbrella, which he used as a makeshift wand.

Little Known Fact: When Hagrid was a student at Hogwarts, he was very close to the Gamekeeper they had employed there at the time. Hagrid would constantly visit him, just like Harry did with him. Also, just like he is now, Hagrid was unusually large for his age, and was often made fun of. But one afternoon after classes, a certain boy named Folifor Scythe was teasing him about his mother. In anger, Hagrid chased him around, but was not as fast as skinny little Folifor. So he gave up, but that night, when Folifor was sneaking around the castle, Rubeus followed him and jumped out at him, making Folifor fall to the ground in terror. Hagrid came out of his hiding place and sat on Folifor, giving the boy four broken ribs. A professor came out to see what was going on and saw Hagrid on Folifor, and gave both of them detention for six weeks.

***More will be posted about Hagrid’s employment at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and his family life at a later date***

Notice: This file is dedicated to Zaffers because she participated in the first HogCon contest.