The Jerk Actor & His Nerdy Apprentice [9]

Part Nine

○Alex○

"Alexander Main!" I heard the dreadful screeching from, none other than, Melanie. She had burst into my apartment, magazine in hand, stomping her way over to the kitchen counter; where I was innocently eating my cocoa puffs. "How do you explain this?!" She demanded, slapping the magazine down on the counter. Tilting my head, I read the title of the tabloid.

'Kiddy College Student is Actor Alexander Main's New Girl?'

As a cover of any other magazine, there were multiple captions below it, then pictures of other peoples' rumored up problems. But, right under the title, was a huge cellular-taken photo of Kayla and I kissing at the party from Friday. I shrug, looking at an expectant Melanie. "What?" I ask, taking in another spoonful of cocoa puffs.

"'What'?! Is that all you have to say on this! This could ruin our career, our publicity, everything we've worked for!" Melanie shrieked with every word. Gosh, I am glad I never seriously dated her..

"Uh, if you haven't already noticed, Melanie, it would have been done when you went back home anyways. Plus I know we both already have movies lined up, new co-stars, and our previous movie is already out and people have already seen it. Get over it." The look on her face was priceless and made me wish I hadn't left my phone upstairs.

She let out an exaggerated sigh, her acting skills obviously faltering. "Whatever, Alexander. But when Dean chews us out, don't come crawling back to me." She began turning around and walking towards the opened front door. But, before she got all the way out of my townhouse, she turned around, smirking. "And I'll make sure your little play toy gets a personal visit as well. Just not from me." Her smirk grew wider as she turned her back on me, stalking out the door; closing it behind her.

Darting upstairs, I grabbed my phone off of my bed, clicking on Kayla's name in my past calls as fast as humanly possible. After it had rung seven times and went to voicemail, I knew she was either asleep, or left her phone somewhere. The first option was more plausible, considering her phone was like her newborn child.

Within the next fifteen minutes, my phone started ringing in my palm, making me jump a little. Kayla's name flashed across the screen, having me sigh of relief. "Hello?" I answer the phone.

"Wow, you're seriously smart." I heard Melanie's cackle from the other line, making my jaw drop. What was going on? How could she be this mad about such a little thing? We weren't even really dating, and our fame will live on! Plus Kayla's my shadow for her project, she needs her phone for all her notes and stuff! Besides her notebook. "Trying to call little old Kayla to tell on me?" I could just see her fake pout. "That's not playing nice."

"Melanie, what the heck are you doing?" I breathed out, just wanting to know her little plan for attempting to ruin my life. Just hearing her voice always ruined my day, seeing her face chips at my mental health. But hearing her and seeing her all in the same day.. Yeah, no, doesn't work that way.

"Oh, what are you talking about?" She plays innocent. "Oh, looks like little Kayla Marie's home. Better go, can't chit chat, y'know?" With that, the line went dead. How had Melanie gotten into Kayla's apartment? If I told Kayla about this, I knew she would call me delusional, because Melanie would have deleted the call we had.

If she had enough brain cells left to remember to do that.

*

•Kayla•

I had just gotten home from visiting the school, I had to borrow their internet because my laptop hated me. My phone was practically dead this morning, from not charging in the previous night, so I had left it home. Not that I really needed it, anyways. It was Sunday and ten in the morning, it was highly doubtful that Alex would be up by now to call or text.