The Jerk Actor & His Nerdy Apprentice [4]

Part Four

Kayla

My third week of shadowing Alexander had just ended, as I keyed in my weekly blog. I was disappointed when, the Friday before last, I hadn't gotten the opportunity to show Alexander how life could be fun without all the glitz and glamour in Arkansas.

My phone began ringing, as I answered it quickly, continuingly typing as I did. "Hello?"

"Hello, is this Kayla Marie?" I responded with a yes. "This is Johnson Carolina, and I was looking for fresh-faced actors or actresses, and happened to find your resume. I was wondering if you would like to come down tomorrow and try for a roll in our new movie?"

It help all my strength to stay calm and not hyperventilate. "I-I'd love to." I tried not to stutter, failing terribly. "What's the movie called, what's it about, and what part would you like me to be trying out for?" I went into professional mode. Mr. Owsley said to not always be swayed just because someone wanted us to be in a movie; we would be no one's monkeys.

There was a light chuckle on the other end. "Smart girl. Well, the movie's main idea.." He went into detail as I quickly found a new page in my notebook and took notes. The movie would be called The Grand Land, where it was 2022 and America was in starvation. Any woman with more than three children would be killed, along with her fourth child, because there was not enough food to go around.

They wanted me to try for the part of Jacky-May. I only had a first name because they were not allowed last names; too much individuality. That's exactly why my mother gave me two first names; individuality. I had been a fourth child, hidden, but as soon as I hit the age of ten, my mother had sent me out to fend for myself so neither of us would be slaughtered. I grew up hiding myself, growing stronger, to where I could fight a bear of any size. Though, there weren't many bears to fight, otherwise we wouldn't have gone into starvation for long.

I eventually sneak into a camp where the military is in line to slaughter mothers and their children, venturing from ages of newborns to seventeen. Even at this time, at eighteen, you could learn to live your own life, and separate yourself. I was to be nineteen; one of the lucky escapers. I begin sneaking multiple people out, until a find a suicidal seventeen-year-old boy by the name of Willis.

He doesn't want to be saved. His mother was already killed, believing it was his fault, therefore he 'deserved' to die. If he hadn't been born, this wouldn't be a problem. But he was, and you couldn't change the past, but you could the future.

Willis is my love interest, whom I save from his own suicidal tendencies, as we try to escape to safety together.

I nodded to myself. "I'll do it. What time?" 10:30 AM. "I'll be there. See you tomorrow, Johnson." With that, I hung up the phone, then added into my entry about an audition and that I would update them ASAP about how it goes. Clicking 'post', I logged off my computer, and went to my bed. Needed to be up by at least nine.

*

Bzz. Bzz.

Something vibrated from underneath my pillow, which had to be my phone. I grabbed groggily, swiping across the screen to answer. "Hello?" I asked, wiping my eyes.

"Hey, Kayla, I need you to pick me up at eleven. I need you to supervise another publicity date for me and Melanie." Alexander sighed, as if he wished he could rip off each of his toenails in place of going out with Melanie.

Looking at my clock, I saw that it was 9:06 AM. "Sorry, Alexander. I have an audition for a movie placement at 10:30. Can't you find someone else to babysit for you?" I teased.