The Jerk Actor & His Nerdy Apprentice [7]

Part Seven

Kayla

My eyes fluttered halfway open as I heard a muted ringtone beginning to play from underneath my head. I grabbed beneath my pillow, getting out my phone, and accepting whoever was calling. "He-" Cough. "Hello?" I clear my early morning throat.

"Hello, Kayla. This is Johnson Carolina. I have called to inform you that you have gotten the part of Jacky-May in 'The Grand Land'. Please be down at the office to pick up your script by four." Before I could start screeching thank you's, he hung up.

I bent my head to my pillow, muting my shriek of happiness. I was going to be in a movie before I had even graduated from college! I continued smiling as I brought out my phone again, calling Alex. He had to hear this!

I scrolled through my contacts hastily, clicking his contact picture. Each ring felt like centuries until he picked up. "Mm.. Hello?" He asked in his early morning voice. I didn't hesitate before screaming the news in his ear, probably making his ear drum pop. He didn't seem to care, though. "Oh my gosh, I'm so happy for you, Kayla!" His words were honest; he was truly happy for me.

"So am I!" I joked, hearing his laugh on the other end. "Anyways, sorry about waking you up just to tell you this. You've probably heard this so many times yourself that it gets boring after a while.."

"Don't worry about it." I sigh of relief. "So, anyways, you doing anything tonight? My friend Tyler invited me to a party tonight and Melanie didn't really want to go, since only famous people would be there; it wouldn't be for any publicity.." I honestly felt sorry for Melanie, her being all shallow and all. "And I was wondering if you want to go?"

I pondered for a moment. I hadn't really been the party kind of girl, even in high school. Back then I spent most of my Saturdays in detention, not mending a hangover. When I really thought of it, I hadn't been to over ten or fifteen parties back then.. But this was different. This was a celebrity party. Yes, one in Arkansas, but a celebrity party nonetheless.

"Kayla?" Alex's voice called through my phone. "It's fine if you don't want to go, I understand." His voice was slightly saddened, but he covered it well.

Quickly thinking of an answer, I responded, "Yes, I would love to go." I only hoped I wouldn't regret this decision.

*

"Thanks again." I smiled kindly to Johnson Carolina's assistant, gripping the thick script as if my life was dependant on it. She smiled back politely. I didn't want to push where I already was, but there was something I had been dying to ask ever since I heard I had gotten the part. "So, who is going to be playing Willis?"

She looked down at a paper in front of her, finding the name 'Willis' and going across the page to the matching name. "Lucas Glass." I contained my smile. At least I knew I wasn't going to be playing a part with one of those conceited, stuck up actors.

I thanked her once more before taking my leave from the large building. My first rehearsal would be the next week, Tuesday morning at seven. I hoped Alexander wouldn't mind. Now that I had a start to my acting career, I had to juggle both rehearsals, meetings, and my observing. I mean, I couldn't just drop out of my last semester of college because I got an acting placement. That's throwing all of that work away for nothing. Plus, what if I went to try out for another movie in the future and they looked at my résumé, like, "Oh.. I see you've been in 'The Grand Land', featuring Lucas Glass. Very good, very go- What's this? You didn't finish college?" Bad career choice.

My phone's ringtone began ringing as I drove out of the lot. "Hello?" I answer without looking at the caller ID.

"Hey." Alex's voice sounded through. "So, what're you doing?"