The Jerk Actor & His Nerdy Apprentice [5]

Part Five

Kayla

"Shut up, Alexander!" I shrieked at him. It's the middle of the fourth week of my shadowing him, and he was seriously getting on my nerves. He would say I was a stupid little girl that needed to stand up for myself, then he would say that I need to sit down and shut up. I was kicking myself for not asking for a transfer from Mr. Owsley earlier. Too late now, I was already almost a month into the assignment. If I were to get a transfer, I would have to start from scratch, my past three entries would be counted as void.. That would drop my grade down.

Alexander and I were in his townhouse, screaming at each other. Last Saturday, instead of me babysitting him like a good little student, I had to go and worry about me and my future. Silly me, what was I thinking? That's apparently how Alexander looked at it, that his life and future was so much more important. Because, now, magazines had pictures of him and Melanie fighting on their previous date. And, miraculously, this was somehow my fault, because I didn't go with them.

"Maria has worked with you since you were seventeen, just starting out, and this never happened. It didn't happen when I babysit-" I stopped myself short, correcting myself through gritted teeth. "Supervised you, either. But, now it's somehow my fault because I wasn't there, just like I haven't been there for the last five years." My hands clenched and unclenched.

"Yes!" He exclaimed, standing up, throwing the magazine on the table drastically.

"You know, when I was in high school, I thought I had known the top of the totem pole when it came to brats, but you - you - Alexander Main, take away the trophy and then some." I pointed my finger at him angrily. "Guess what I already get to plan my paper to contain? That actors like you should be let out of their job, because all you are, are selfish a**holes. Then I'll show how I won't be like that, because at least I know how to appreciate what I have."

He let out an exasperated huff. "You know what-"

"What?"

"You always say how I'm so selfish, and how you know how to 'appreciate' things, but you never elaborated how. I think it's because you can't explain, because you have no backups. You could be as selfish and self-absorbed as the next person, but you never recognize it. In fact, you are pretty self-absorbed, constantly saying that you aren't." He pointed at me, his recently lit cigarette in his hand.

I coughed, waving away the smoke in front of me. Then I went up, took his cigarette from him, and putting it out on his counter. "Go ahead an plan your death in those nicotine sticks, but don't bring me down with you second handedly." I shook my head, narrowing my eyes up to him.

"Why, of all people, did you have to get assigned to me?" He asked sharply, basically going back on what he said on the first day I shadowed him.

"Why, of all actors, did I have to get assigned to you?" I retorted back with the same tone.

Our faces were growing close, as we kept trying to one-up each other. Finally we were centimeters from one another. I could feel his breath from his lips on mine. His eyes kept flickering from my own, to my lips, and back; his expression growing softer. I allowed him to lean into where if I had puckered my lips, each of ours would touch, then I spoke.

"You're not going to break me, Alexander. I know what's right, what's wrong, and what's just plain ridiculous. That last one would be you." I pointed at him, then dropped down to my regular level from my tip toes. With that, I turned around, and stormed out.

*

○Alex○

I watched as Kayla walked out of my townhouse, exasperated, irked, and just plain peeved. Why had I yelled at her like that? I didn't understand myself sometimes, but I sure as heck didn't understand her. One minute she'll be happy a bubbly, and next she'll be lethal. How could she be so bi-polar?