Epilogue

follow me on twitter @thisisme_polly! :)

another edited note: this is definitely not one of my best stories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six months later…

I laid curled up in my bed, playing with the ends of my hair. In front of me, the TV ran the most recent episode of House and it occurred to me that I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Fumbling with the mess of sheets surrounding me, I pulled off my comforter and looked up at the one laying beside me.

“What’s going on?”

He turned to me and smiled, blowing a tuff of hair out of his face. “Honestly? I have no idea.”

“Then why are we even watching this,” I asked. “Change the channel.”

Instead of changing the channel, he turned off the TV completely and smirked at me. “You know, there are other things we can do.”

“Shut up, Matt.” I giggled slightly as he buried his face into my neck, loving the close feel.

The past few months have been anything than I had expected. Starting from that morning when I found out Jake resigned, I expected everything to go downhill. And it did. For a while. It was funny because despite the fact that we were living in the 21st century with a vast range of resources, I couldn’t contact him. I called. I emailed. I rang his door (apparently he moved out). I tried to physically find him. (Sometimes I’d walk around in malls hoping that he’d be there.) But nothing I did gave me any sign of him.

At first, I thought that it was my fault. Sure, I did say that I never wanted to speak to him again and that he should get out of my life but I didn’t mean literally drop off the face of the planet. After the first two months, his AWOL act got pretty annoying and I surprised even myself when I decided that I wasn’t going to care anymore. The fact of the matter was that that was exactly the eye opener I needed. Maybe I thought I loved him and maybe I thought that he was the one but now that I think about, I don’t want or need to spend any time with someone so immature.

Everything got better after I started dating. Every guy I was with constantly reminded me of all the weird things that I hate about Jake and I realized that I don’t need him. That whole…episode with him was just a display of unrequited young, foolish love from ages ago and the whole time it was just like a wildfire slowly dying. And, now that it died down, I could finally move on with my life.

And I knew that I was okay and that I will be okay, even if I never have to see his face again.

I didn’t hear the knock on my door outside until Matt nudges me on the shoulder.

“Babe? There’s someone at the door. Can you go get it? Seeing as how I’m in no position to be contacting the outside world right now…”

I glanced down at his boxers and stifled a laugh. The knock got more impatient and I rolled my eyes. Can’t people wait?

Throwing my legs off the side of my bed, I tossed on one of Matt’s dress shirts and headed to the door. Good thing he’s like almost a foot taller and that his shirt covered enough of my thigh to seem decent.

I opened the door just as I was buttoning up the shirt. “Can I help—

“Hey, Jessica.”

My hands immediately stopped fumbling with the buttons and I look up.