Chapter 14

dedicated to sunshinebabyy for always leaving me nice comments! 

of course i can only dedicate one person for one part, but there are many other parts, so ill be dedicating those as well! :)

Chapter Fourteen

“So,” Anthony said as we sat down in our booth.

I slid into the seat across from him. “So…”

He looked around nervously for a second. “Well, this is awkward.”

“You don’t say,” I replied, offering him a small smile. That seemed to get him relaxed a bit.

“Do you want something to eat? Have you had dinner? Breakfast?” Anthony asked.

“We’re in a Starbucks,” I told him humorously. “It’s not exactly tummy filling.”

“I guess so,” he laughed.

I smiled at him then became serious. “What did you want to talk to me about?”

Anthony’s eyes dropped to his lap and he let out a deep sigh. “I just – I just really wanted to say I’m sorry. I know you think I’m a huge creep, but I promise I’m not really like that.”

Well, I was getting bad vibes from you coming out of every direction, I thought to myself but didn’t say it out loud. Then I realized I was sounding like Jake with his power vibes. I focused back on Anthony because now I was thinking of Jake and that’s a touchy subject at the moment.

“I don’t know what came over me those days,” he continued when I didn’t say anything. “Jake just made me so mad.”

My ears perked up at this. “Really? What happened?”

“You know Jake and I used to be friends,” Anthony said. I wasn’t sure if he was just saying that or if it was part of his explanation.

“Friends? You guys look like you hate each other,” I commented. It was hard to believe that Anthony and Jake used to be friends. On the other hand, no one could tell that me and Jake had any type of acquaintance before and we were best friends.

“We do.” There was a twinge of sadness in his voice that made me want to comfort him. He wasn’t the only one shunned by Jake. “But before, we used to be friends. Pretty good friends actually.”

“Then what happened?”

“I don’t really know,” he responded. “I think…I think we always had this strain on our friendship – everything between us had to be a competition. The girls, the cars, the money, you name it, we compete for it. It was good at first – pushed us to our limits. But then, one day he snapped.”

I leaned forward, in awe of the story. “Snapped how?”

“He crossed the line and that was it.”

“That doesn’t really answer my question,” I told him. I knew I should be nicer, but there was still that part of me inside that wasn’t comfortable being around Anthony yet.

“Okay. One day, he came to work and he ignored me the entire day. Usually, we’d boast about what we did that day and then laugh it off but then that day, he didn’t. Later, I found out that he slept with my girlfriend,” Anthony explained.

I grimaced. “I suppose you didn’t take that too well.”

He simply shrugged. “Of course not. I loved her. And I thought she loved me. And even though I knew Jake and I competed a lot, I didn’t think he’d go that far.”