Chapter 20

Scarlet and I ended up in the Starbucks across the street. We both sat down without a word. I waited for her to start talking, because I have nothing to say to her.

“A few weeks ago Jake called me,” she began. “He said that he was sorry for breaking up with me. He said that he wanted to get back together.”

I stared at her in disbelief.

She continued, “Jake told me he made a mistake. He said he wanted to start over.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“The thing is, I believed him,” Scarlet said with a tiny laugh. “He told me that he was ready to settle down and that he thought I was the one.”

The only thing I could manage was a nod, urging Scarlet to continue.

“He told me that we should pretend that we were married to see what it would feel like if we actually did get married. I didn’t know he was just using me, Jessica, I didn’t. And then you came along. Jake seemed happier with you and I was jealous. I thought you were going to ruin what we were beginning to have. That’s why I was so mean to you, I was so jealous.”

“What happened next?” I asked her, not sure if I really wanted to know.

“Later I put two and two together. Even though he said that we’d be a couple, we never even went out on a date! He never held my hand…he never even kissed me…”

I remembered when I walked into the office, seeing Scarlet all messed up coming out of Jake’s office.

“But remember when you came out of Jake’s office with your hair and stuff…” I said.

“Yeah. I tried to confront him! I said that if he really wanted to be a couple, he’d kiss me! So then I kissed him. He didn’t even do anything. After a few seconds, he pushed me away. That’s when I had enough,” she sobbed. “I was in love with him…and he used me.”

“Used you? What do you mean?”

“He used me to get to you! To make you jealous.”

“He did what?” I cried. A couple of people looked in our direction and I quickly ducked my head.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Jessica,” Scarlet said, wiping her eyes with a tissue.

“What made you change your mind?”

“After the fashion show…I knew. You’re in love with him too and I just don’t want you to go through what I had to go through. He’s been lying to the both of us. I bet he told you we were married, didn’t he?”

“Yeah, he did,” I replied. Anger boiled in me. Who did Jake think he is? I mean, Scarlet’s pretty bad but nobody, nobody deserves to be treated this way. Sure, I was lied to. But Scarlet was even worse. He played her. He used her and tossed her aside when he didn’t need her anymore just like he did to me all those years ago. I was right. He never changed. He’s still the same manipulating, conniving boy from all those years ago and someone needed to expose him for what he is.

“You know what Scarlet? I’ll be right back,” I said, standing up abruptly.

Scarlet nodded weakly and stared blankly at her cup of coffee.

I picked up my bag and stalked back to the office building. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. By the time I stepped out of the elevator, I was practically shaking with anger.

Not noticing anything else, I marched to Jake’s door and knocked briskly.

The door flung open and Jake appeared with a big smile on his face. “Jessica! I was just looking for you.”