Chapter 6

Chapter Six

“What is this…” I said, staring at the array of clothes laid out in front of me.

“It’s your outfit for the show,” Jenna explained.

My hands stretched and waved across the set. “This?! It looks more like something I’d wear to bed.”

Jenna looked at my nervously. “It kinda is?”

I shook my head in disbelief and gaped at her. “Wait, what?”

“Well the designer of this line wanted to be more realistic with the clothing. Instead of having stick-thin girls, he designed it for normal girls, with normal clothing sizes,” she said. “It’s the La Ballerine Past Ten, you know, sleepwear.”

I scanned through the clothes sceptically. “I don’t think girls are meant to sleep in these clothes.”

“You’ll look great in them, don’t worry,” Jenna reassured.

“Hey guys,” Stacy said, walking up to us. “Jessica, they want you down in the photo room.”

“The photo room?” I said curiously. “Why?”

Stacy shrugged her shoulders. “I think they need to do the shoot for the new posters advertising the show.”

“Oh well, can’t they pick some other model?” I asked.

“How are they gonna know if they don’t see all of them, right?” she said.

“Okay, thanks,” I said and started walking towards the elevator.

“Hey!” Stacy called after me. “Freshen up before you get down there. Jake’s there too.”

Not bothering to turn around, I inconspicuously flipped her off and then walked into the elevator which was conveniently open. I pressed the number 31 and leaned against the cool metal in the elevator. Using the reflective surface of the metal doors, I fluffed my hair and adjusted my shirt—not for Jake of course. When the elevator stopped moving and the doors opened, I stepped out and took a sharp turn to my right…and ran into something.

“Oh somfy,” I sputtered against a shirt.

“Didn’t see you there,” the guy I bumped into laughed. He took a stepped back and smoothed out his shirt.

“It was my fault, sorry,” I apologized

“No no, no one’s fault,” he said. His eyes traveled up and down my body and he smiled. “Let me guess, a model?”

Heat rose to my cheeks. “Yeah.”

“You look just like the type,” he winked at me.

“Is that what you say to all the girls?” I teased.

He smiled and looked at my curiously. “If you’re looking for the photo room, you’re going the wrong way,” he said, completely ignoring my question.

“Well then,” I said, “lead the way.”

I turned around and followed his lead down the hall to a pair of wooden doors. With a teasing smile to me, he turned the door knob. As soon as the doors opened, Jake came rushing to us.

“Damn it Anthony, you’re late,” Jake scolded.

“Sorry man,” Anthony shrugged.

Jake’s eyes shifted to me. “And I see you’ve found Jessica.”

Anthony eyed me playfully. “Yup, some model you got here. She doesn’t even know the way to the photo room.”

“She should,” Jake said slowly. “She’s my receptionist.”