Chapter 4

can i just start off by saying: OH THE IRONY OF THE EVENTS IN THIS CHAPTER.

Chapter Four

“I think he’s totally into you,” Stacy said as she got of the car.

I slammed the door shut and gave her a sceptical look. “He’s married.”

“Tons of married men leave their wives—especially if they’re married to the Scarlets of the world.”

Rolling my eyes, I strode ahead of her and stood in line. “Not everyone is as feisty as you.”

“Well that’s true,” Stacy laughed, winking to a group of guys in line ahead of us.

We were lined up outside a hot new club in town—Le Chateau Luxe. What it means, I have no idea since bonjour is basically the extent of my French. What I do know is judging from the exterior of the club, this was definitely what I needed to get my mind off Jake.

The line was pretty long and our waiting time was spent by me watching Stacy flirt her way into 7, yes 7, guys’ numbers, and Stacy well, flirting with 7 guys, all of whom she will never call. A couple of them tried to hit on me too, but I waved them off. All I was focused on tonight was to have fun with no limits. By the time we actually got in the club it was almost 9. Thankfully it was Saturday, or else I would’ve made Stacy turn around and head home.

Feeling a bit worn out (what can I say? We’re working women!), Stacy and I decided to head to the bar first and get a few drinks before anything. We settled down on the stools and ordered drinks—something fancy with a long name for her, and a light beer for me. I was never really into fancy drinks.

After a couple of sips, Stacy twisted to face me. “So, what’re you gonna do?”

“I don’t know…finish this drink, then go dance a bit?” I said, confused.

“I meant about Jake,” Stacy said in annoyance.

I scrunched up my face, thinking. “Hmm, I don’t know. I guess I’ll just leave it.”

“But you can’t! He’s way into you, I promise!”

“Yeah but with Jake…he doesn’t really see things in perspective,” I said, more to myself than to her.

Stacy studied me for a second. “You talk about him like you’ve known him forever.”

“I –” I stopped talking, thinking about what I should tell her, or even if I should tell her in the first place. Of course she was my best friend, but if she knew, she’d go on non-stop about how we’re meant to be and a stroke of destiny and all that nonsense, and that was the last thing I needed. Actually, I wasn’t even sure if I need it at all.

“I’m supposed to act like I’ve know him forever, I’m his receptionist, remember?” I said coolly.

“I guess,” Stacy said, but she looked unconvinced.

Downing the last of my beer, I set the bottle on the counter and hopped off my stool. “I think that I’m going to dance, you coming?”

“Later, there are some hotties looking our way,” Stacy giggled and readjusted her light pink strapless dress.

I laughed and walked towards the dance floor which was crowded with people. Feeling the excitement build up in me, I squeezed my way through bodies of people and stopped in what I thought was the middle. The movement of the crowd pushed me around and I let the music take feeling of my body. A couple of times, I would walk back to the bar to grab another beer. I don’t know how much I drank, how long I danced for, or who I danced with (except sometimes I could tell it was a guy because well, you know) but it seemed to go on for a long time.