Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

The phone at my desk ran for the fifth time and I rolled my eyes.

"You better go get it," Stacy said.

"Yeah," I muttered in annoyance.

How popular could Jake get that they wouldn't stop nagging until they reached him? Scarlet's face popped into my head and I grimaced. Of course. She definitely would. Her and her botox face and fake chest and fake everything. But she ought to know Jake isn't even here today, since theyre married and all. Stalking over to my desk, I took deep breaths in and put, trying to calm my nerves.

"Hello?" I said sharply into the phone.

"Hey -"

"Mr. Marshall isn't here," I snapped.

The person on the other line laughed. "I'm not looking for Mr. Marshall."

Oh, this guy has got to be kidding me. He annoyed me all morning and it turns out he got the wrong number? Unbelievable.

"Sir, you got the wrong number," I fumed.

"You're so silly Jessica. I was looking for you."

I looked at the receiver then put it back to my ear. "Wait, who's this?"

"It's Anthony."

"Oh, hi Anthony."

I felt a slight annoyance at him. Though he seemed sweet, it was extremely irritating that he kept calling. I mean, if I didn't answer the phone the first three times you called, what makes you think I'll answer it if you call more?

"You seemed pretty angry before, is everything alright with Jake?" he asked lightly.

Feeling a bit tired, I pulled out my chair and sat down. "Why would you assume it's about Jake?"

"Just a hunch," he replied. There was something in his tone that told me it wasn't "just a hunch".

"Soooo, are you going to tell me?" he prodded on.

"No, it's nothing," I said. I had that really weird feeling. It was hard to describe, kinda like "this guy is being weird but I can't put my finger on it". At the same time, I've been having really confusing feelings what with Jake and all so I'm not entirely sure.

"Well, maybe another time," he said.

Maybe never. "Sure," I said as un-monotone as I could.

"Hey I was thinking, you wanna grab lunch with me?"

I looked at the clock on my desk. "I don't get off for another hour and I kinda have plans at lunch already."

I wasn't lying. I had an interview with US Weekly at 11:30, just in time for my lunch break. They called me the day before yesterday and I said yes immediately. Can you blame me? They're my favorite magazine and I'm not about to blow it for some photographer. Granted, he takes amazing photos but still...US Weekly.

"That's okay," Anthony chirped, breaking my train of thought. "I'm actually free now so we can meet up then I'll drop you off at wherever you're going to go."

"I'm busy." Now I was lying. I just spent the entire morning gossiping with Stacy and Jenna.

Anthony sighed. "Come on. Jake's not even there, how busy can you be?"

"I -"

"Don't lie to me Jessica, I hate liars," he continued. There was a threatening tone in his voice that made me want to say yes and just get it over with.