Chapter 21

Rush

I stare at that beautiful face of hers, that's filled with surprise and sadness. "I told you I'd give you six months," I say without a hello.

She stares at me and then slams the door in my face. I blink, though I'm not sure why I'm surprised. Deep down, I knew that this would probably be my reaction. I guess along with that feeling came the one where I hoped that she'd be happy to see me. It wasn't a very great possibility, but it was a hope nonetheless.

I knock again and get no answer. When I knock one more time, the door swings open and I gaze at my brother.

He looks much better than when I saw him six months ago. He's filled out his clothes much better and his tight t-shirt hugs his chest enough for me to see ripped, hard muscle underneath.

He leans against the door frame and frowns. "How can I help you?" he asks coldly. As if we don't know each other.

"Well, I need to speak to Abigail. She slammed the door in my face," I say.

A snarl works his way up his throat. "Can you blame her?"

I sigh. "No, I can't. I pushed her away and it's my fault. But I need her back."

"So you can push her away after?"

"No, I was an idiot for doing that. I'm really sorry. I thought it would be better for her but after feeling every single emotions of hers, I couldn't stay away any longer."

His brows furrow in confusion. "Feel her emotions? What's that mean?"

"When a Lycan claims his mate, they share a emotional connection that allows both sides to feel the other's emotions," I explain. "If she were to feel upset, I'd feel that. If she were to feel anything, I'd feel that."

"And she can feel your emotions too? Even if she's human?" Adrian asks.

I nod.

His frown deepens. "Doesn't seem fair. If she were to move on and she's feeling turned on, you'd feel that?"

I refuse to blush. "Yes."

"Adrian?" a very familiar voice calls from inside the house. "Who's by the door?"

My breath hitches. Grama. I look to Adrian, as if asking him permission to enter and see my own grandmother. He nods slightly and moves away from the door so I can come in.

When I see Grama, I blink back tears. (Manly tears of course. Men don't cry.)

Her jaw drops at the sight of me. She stands and puts her hand on her chest. "Rush. You're back."

"Yes. But not for long. I just want to speak to Abby face to face before I leave."

"That conversation better include your taking her back with you."

I nod. "If she says yes."

She smacks me upside the head and I wince, pulling back from my angry grandmother. "What the hell were you thinking, letting your mate go like that?"

My eyes snap to her face. "What?" Had I heard right? How could she have said what I thought she said? She didn't know my secret... Did she? Did Abby or Adrian tell her?

"Oh, Rush. You honestly thought I didn't know you were Alpha of the Lycans? You all must seriously think I'm an idiot."

"How do you know?" I blurt, shocked to my core.

"Your father told me, of course. I forced it out of him but he told me. Eventually."

At the mention of my father, I cringe. If he were to look down on me from Heaven, he'd probably shake his head at my stupidity and add his trademarked, disappointed "Tsk, tsk".