Chapter 4

Rush

I feel my eyes widen and my breath stalls in my chest. "What? What are you talking about?!"

"She is to be the alpha's mate- his Luna," Lennie explains quickly. "The prophecy said that a human girl with Lycan blood, would end up at this pack and would have bulging veins from the side of her neck. This is her!"

I stare at Lennie in shock. "It can't be. She's only human!"

"Exactly. She is the one the prophecy spoke of. She is human and must have Lycan blood."

I shake my head in disbelief. "But that's not possible! Abigail is completely human. Including her blood. Adrian wouldn't have been her best friend this long if she had ever shifted."

"I didn't say she was Lycan. I said that she was human with Lycan blood. She cannot transition."

I shake my head again, utterly unable to process what Lennie was saying. How could it be? How could my human brother's best friend be a werewolf?

On the bed, Abigail is beginning to stir. Lennie looks at me and then at Abigail. "I'll stop by later," he says. "I'll see how she's doing then."

"Wait, what do I do to help her?" I ask, desperately trying to keep the panic from entering in my voice.

Lennie looks back at Abigail. "Nothing. She is healthy. Just make sure to keep an eye on her- you don't want to let her go."

Mind torn between the two decisions in my head, I absently nod at Lennie, then focus my attention on Abigail, whose eyes are beginning to flutter open. I hear the door closing behind me as Lennie leaves the room. I sit beside Abigail, catching her attention.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

A soft moan comes from deep within her throat. "What happened?" she asks, groggily.

"You passed out, and when I came back from my meeting, I found you like this. Did you hurt yourself?"

She looks around the room. "I don't think so," she says. "Where are Hanna and Blaire?"

"They left a few minutes ago to run an errand for me. You'll see them again, don't worry. But for now, I need you to rest because we are leaving tomorrow after breakfast."

Her expression is so innocent. "We still have no idea where Adrian is, though."

"Don't worry, Abigail," I say reassuringly. "I have a lot of people working on it. We'll figure it out in time."

She nods.

"We'll find Adrian in time," I say, hoping to put her worries at rest even though she has every reason to be worried. I don't have the faintest idea where to even start looking for my brother.

She gives me a weak, yet relieved smile. "Good."

I get up from her bed but in one quick move, she reaches forward and grabs my arm. "Please don't leave," she whispers. "I don't feel entirely safe here. I don't know anyone."

"No harm will come to you while you're here," I say, my voice dropping to a tone above a whisper. "I trust these people with my lives and I made it clear to them that you are not to be touched."

She nods. She watches me with tired eyes as I settle into the nearest chair. She finally closes her eyes when she's certain that I won't leave. Pretty soon, her rhythmic breathing fills the room and I get up, tiptoeing out of her room.

Thane is waiting for me outside Abigail's door. He looks at me suspiciously and I frown. He doesn't grill me about it though. As my closest friend, he finds out my secrets anyway. He has his ways.