64 | m i s s i n g

"Darkness is just light turned inside out."

― Beezlebub

/ / h a r r y / /

It's the third day, and I still haven't gotten the shit I want. 

Evelyn has been acting as if the kiss never happened and I don't know how to feel. Should I be upset? Am I supposed to act as if it never happened, too? She seems to always be lost in thought and I noticed she barely leaves the bedroom. I remember checking in on her once and she was just laying underneath the blanket, staring up at the ceiling. She didn't care I was in the room and she didn't say a single word to me. Ever since the kiss, she's barely spoken to me. Her skin looks sickly and her hair looks dry, unlike how it looked when she fully transitioned. She looks a mess and I have no idea what's happening.

I stare at her now from the doorway and she's doing the same thing as she was doing before—laying down and her eyes are focused up on the ceiling. From where I'm standing, I can see the dark circles underneath her eyes and her lips are cracked. She notices my stare and I smile at her, walking into the room. "You look like shit."

Her eyes leave mine and she looks back at the ceiling. It's almost as if it hurts her to move. I sit down on the edge of the bed and sigh. I expected her to reply to me, not look away. I decide to lay back on the bed, too, and I look up at the ceiling.

"So this is what you've been doing for the past few days, eh?" Her head turns to face me again and my eyebrows knit together as I frown. "What's happening to you? You were perfectly fine three days ago!" Her lips part and I wait for her to say something...anything. But she doesn't. "Come on, tell me what's bothering you. I can help you but I can't do that if I don't know what's wrong."

She looks back at the ceiling and after not talking for so long, she finally speaks, "I feel...empty." 

Her voice is weak and dry.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Hungry," is the only word she manages to get out before she rolls over and curls up into a ball. 

"You couldn't have just said that from the start?" I ask and she shrugs. 

Women. 

They're so fucking difficult. 

Her knees are pulled up to her chest and I sit up to get a better look at her. She closes her eyes and licks her dry lips. I rub the back of my neck and mentally curse myself. How could I forget? When a demon is born, they must feed immediately. She hasn't fed on any fear and now she's suffering.

"I'll go get you something," I say, gently squeezing her shoulder and getting off the bed. 

She attempts to moist her lips by licking them but she does not have much luck. I watch her for a few more seconds before walking out of the room. I do not shut the door behind me because she will be here by herself. I scratch the side of my neck as I walk out of the house and begin to think of what I am going to go.

I need to find someone for Evelyn to mark.

But who?

There are so many people out there and I don't want to bring back someone she won't want to mark. I'm not going to get her a person of the male gender. There's no way I'm going to do that. I will simply get a woman who looks younger than her. Younger women are so full of themselves and they never care about the situations they put themselves into. If I get Evelyn a teenager, everything will be fine. I just have to make sure this teenager won't be missed if she goes missing for a little while.