57 | c l e a n i n g

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." 

 Herman Wouk 

/ / e v e l y n / /

I lean against the wall in the hall and clean the dirt from underneath my fingernails. I listen to the sound of the shower water running and take a deep breath. We're all taking showers. We need to clean ourselves up. All of us are covered in blood and we smell sour. Zayn volunteered to take his shower first and I made sure the water wasn't too hot. He liked the temperature and got in the shower without any problems. I'm taking mine next and I thought it wouldn't hurt to sit out here and wait. Louis constantly walks around the apartment, checking every room for Harry. He's frightened. If Harry comes back, we won't know what to expect. 

I lay my head back against the wall as Louis comes back from his third cycle around the apartment. He doesn't stop to acknowledge me. He just keeps it moving and I'm afraid he'll lose his mind if he keeps doing this. I want to tell him to stop but he looks too determined. If I tell him to stop, he might find a way to convince me to let him continue. I just watch him and make sure he isn't stressing himself out. 

When he comes back down the hall, I smile at him, "I think you should take a break for a little while, yeah? I don't think he's coming back anytime soon. Zayn scared him off." 

Louis looks down at me as if I've lost my mind and he goes right back to what he was doing. I close my eyes and mentally slap myself. He probably isn't going to stop until it's his turn to get in the shower. Maybe I should tell him to get into the shower next? I shake my head at my own idiotic thought. If he wouldn't take a break, how do I know he will stop looking around to get in the shower? I move my hair out of my face and look at the wall in front of me. 

The bathroom door opens and Zayn comes out. He looks down at me and his hair's soaking wet. Some of it sticks to his forehead and I had no idea how long it was until now. He has on the same clothes as before and his shirt is wet. I wonder if he used his shirt to dry off, seeing as how we don't have any towels or anything. Zayn offers me his hand and I take it as he helps me off of the floor. I smile at him and he smiles back. 

"Thank you for earlier," I say. "I never got the chance to thank you and if you hadn't done what you did, I would probably be dead—"

He smiles and shakes his head at me before walking away. My jaw slightly drops and I'm surprised by his actions. He didn't let me finish. He usually lets me finish my sentences. I close my mouth and look down at the floor. Zayn did not want me to talk about the possibility of me being dead. I should've just thanked him and ended it there. I walk into the bathroom and shut the door behind me, locking it. 

I immediately strip out of my clothes and turn on the shower water. I wait for it to get warm enough and step inside. I run my fingers along my body, getting rid of any blood on me. My fingers touch the bruises on my side and I wince in pain. I remove my trembling fingers from my now throbbing skin and just stand there. I cannot really wash my body because there is not any soap. The only thing I can do is rinse my body off and get out so Louis can get in. I let the water rinse me off and I turn around to let it get my hair wet.

Laughter fills the bathroom and the lights flicker on and off.

My body tenses and my knees feel as if they are about to give out. There shouldn't be anyone in here with me. I locked the door when I came in. It's impossible for anyone to get in here without breaking the door down or picking the lock. I would've heard someone pick at the lock, though. I don't turn the shower water off. If I do so, the person in here might think I know they're in here. 

"You know, Evelyn, I can smell your fear." 

Harry.

"W-What do you want?"