Chapter Sixteen

“Lock it! Lock it!” I commanded, my mind turning cold and calculating in seconds.

Stiles glared at me, holding on to the door. “Do I look like I have a key?”

“Grab something!” I yelled at him.

“What?” He frowned.

I shook my head, frustrated. “Anything!”

Suddenly, he stopped and stood up, looking outside through the windows. He seemed to be searching for something, until he found it.

The lock cutter.

“No.” Scott shook his head.

Stiles put a restraining arm out. “Yes.”

“Stiles, no, don’t.” I warned.

Yet, he ignored us and went outside anyways. For a moment, he stopped to analyze his surroundings and didn’t find the Alpha anywhere near. He focused on the cutter again, and began to climb down the steps to snatch it off the ground. Out of nowhere, the Alpha peeked out of the jeep, settling his ruby eyes on Stiles.

“Stiles! Come back!” I screamed, hitting the door.

He turned around to us, and then back towards the predator. The Alpha began to take long strides towards him, and Stiles ran back, opening the door and jumping inside. He clamped the cutter on both handles, securing the doors and keeping them shut.

We looked outside once again, and as before, the Alpha was nowhere to be found. The parking lot was barren, except for the two cars.

“Where is it? Where’d it go?” Scott asked.

I grabbed the flashlight from his hand and aimed it outside, studying every little detail. Nothing seemed out of place. We stepped back cautiously from the door, our breath coming out labored. I flashed the light on the door, a bit skeptical about our makeshift lock.

“That won’t hold, will it?” Scott wondered.

Stiles looked at us gravely. “Probably not.”

We accepted the fact that it was true, and turned around to survey our surroundings. The school was dark and cryptic, with halls that showed no sign of any other beings inhabiting its lengths. The moonlight poured in through the windows, spilling over the floors and lockers.

Distant howling brought us back from our scrutinizing, making us snap our heads towards all directions. We stopped for a second before running into one of the rooms, Stiles right behind me.

“Desk.” I point, while I closed the door.

They both hauled it towards the entrance, making it screech loudly.

“Shh. Stop, stop.” Stiles held his hand up, looking towards the door. “The door’s not gonna keep it out.”

Scott nodded, pushing the desk. “I know.”

“I hate your boss.” Stiles pointed at his best friend, stopping his pushing.

“What?” Scott frowned.

“Deaton. The Alpha. Your boss.” Stiles explained, a ‘duh’ look on his face.

Scott furrowed his eyebrows. “No.”

“Yes, murdering psycho werewolf.” Stiles accused.

“That can’t be.” Scott shook his head.

“Oh, come on. He disappears and shows up ten seconds later to toss Derek twenty feet through the air? That’s not convenient timing?” I spat.

“It’s not him.” Scott urged.