Chapter 22

~~~ Lily ~~~

I sat down on my usual stool next to the bar. Everything between Amber and me was patched up, but we were still on thin ice. Harry wasn't listening to my apologies no matter how many times I called or texted him.

To add to it, Amber and I were moving back home to Chicago in two days. Everything was packed and ready to go. I could feel Amber's hesitation though. She said she was fine with Harry dating another girl, but it's been weeks, and she still doesn't seem alright. She avoids all mentions of his name, and even though him and Ashley are fighting at the moment, she won't even talk to me about it. I guess it's my fault on that one though.

So here I was at my usual bar. I kept my head down as I sat there finishing off my drink. The air smelt like alcohol and vomit.

"Mind if I sit here?" I heard a guy ask.

I looked up to him to see he was talking to me. And he was attractive.

"Nope. Not at all." I smiled.

He sat down next to me and turned to face me. Before I knew it, we were engaged in a conversation how I was moving back to my hometown in two days.

"Oh, what's your name by the way?" I asked. It slipped my mind to ask him earlier.

"Austin. Im going out to Chicago for a little bit too. Maybe we can meet up..." he paused waiting for my name. I felt really gittery around him.

"Lily. And yeah. I'd like that." I said with a smile.

******

~~~ Amber ~~~

Lily and I had flown back to Chicago a few weeks ago with Austin by her side. We didn't speak anything to each other, and when we did, it was Austin saying the past is the past.

We were all in a hotel room together since we didn't necessarily want to move back in with our parents just yet. And with Austin...

We went walking around the neighborhood and posters were everywhere advertising the One Direction tour coming to Chicago. Figures.

We ate lunch at a restaurant Lily and I loved as kids before we left to continue back towards the hotel.

Lily and Austin were giggling and stealing kisses which made my stomach hurt. I was happy for them, but I just wish I was happy in a relationship too. Maybe I could finally stop with this Harry nonsense. I should have stopped by now. Even the mention of his name in my head hurt to think.

Lily and Austin stopped outside the hotel, and I looked down at my heels waiting for them to turn towards the hotel.

"Um. Amber? We are going for a walk. Do you mind?" Lily asked me nicely.

I wanted them to walk with me back to the hotel, but that was only selfish and mean. "Go ahead! I'll meet you guys back at the hotel," I said giving my consent.

Lily gave me a thankful look before they turned around walking farther away from my destination with his arm locked around her. Guess the only think to do is go back.

I slowly strolled the streets of Chicago alone until my feet came upon the front steps of the hotel. There was a big group of girls near the front. They were all engaged in their own conversations, so without asking, I slipped into the hotel.

I walked through the lobby towards the elevator, and I turned the corner. I immediately bumped into a solid person. I stumbled to the ground as a familiar voice yelled at me, "Watch it!"

My focus didn't leave my ankle. I could feel only pain and déjà vu.

"Amber?" The same voice asked, and I looked up to see Harry looming over me. I thought it was my Harry, but this one had dark circles under his eyes and his hair askew. And he wasn't my Harry. I had no Harry.

My heart rate picked up, and I couldn't speak. I wanted to hug and kiss him before I realized I needed to get away from him.

I tried standing up and my ankle screamed in protest. I bit my lip to hold back a yelp of pain when I felt two familiar hands hold my waist. I wanted to melt at the touch, but I couldn't. You know better Amber.

Another step on my twisted ankle brought another shock of pain throughout my body. I couldn't do this alone. I needed help, but not his help.

"Amber! I'm really glad you're here!" He said bringing his arms closer around my waist.

"That's not fair! I can't walk! Let go!" I screamed in protest. "Harry! Let go!" My blood ran hot, and I could tell I was blushing. My cheeks burned red, and I wished I didn't blush so easily.

He came to the other side of me, so I was forced to look at him. "Amber! Just give me a second! Let me explain!"

I put my arms on his shoulders as a crutch, trying to escape him. This isn't going to work out.

"Harry. My ankle hurts, and I just want to go to my suite. Please just leave me alone," I begged.

"You twisted your ankle Amber. Let me help you," he spoke with a firmness. It wasn't a question. But I wasn't taking it as an option.

"How do you know so much about ankles?" I asked.

"I have dealt with a beautiful girl running into me and hurting her ankle before. She even accused me of being an ankle doctor. What was her name? Samber? Lamber? Bamber?"

He was talking about me. A stab of pain hit my chest in a way that out-hurt my ankle. The conversation we had as he iced my ankle the first time. The only time, I reminded myself.

"Is that how you met Ashley too? Where is she anyways? Going to Harvard?" I joked.

"We broke up. I broke up with her," he said quietly.

I could tell he didn't really want to talk about it, so I brought it up. "Why? She was too smart for you?"

I managed to walk to one of the elevator doors using the wall as my guide. I could feel Harry's presence behind me grow closer until his arms grabbed tightly at my waist, and he was once again in front of me. He rested his forehead on mine as we had down a hundred times before.

"No. I was still hung up on you. I still am. I told you, 'I love you,' and I meant it" His warm breath tickled my face.

I adverted my eyes to the floor as I felt his heavy stare.

"Please. Just let me take you to a doctor, and," Swarms of butterflies were attacking my insides as he spoke. That was until he whispered, "you never have to talk to me again."

My mind was made up. Every fiber of my being was against it, but it was always my love for Harry versus my common sense. Call me clueless.

I tore my eyes from the floor to focus them on Harry. His face screamed pain just as mine did physically and emotionally. That was the last thing I saw as I closed my eyes and kissed Harry.