Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

I woke to the warm sunlight streaming through the billowing cream curtains blanketing the windows. My eyes flickered open and I blinked a couple times before I focused in on the sight of Apollo laying beside me. He no longer slept sprawled and out in the open. He slept curled up around me tightly, his arms embracing me all through the night, and his cheek resting on my head. It was a rare moment when he wasn't flinching or cringing away from anything.

Atlan's torture had left a severe scar on Apollo's heart and soul. He could no longer stand loud noises and he was constantly checking everything around him to make sure there was no danger. I wasn't sure how long this mental damage would last, or if it could ever be healed. It was so frustrating to once again be trapped in the place of being a protection god, a god of healing, and being unable to do anything to help him.

"You are helping me," Apollo had told me last night before we fell asleep, "Before I met you, I'd have to do all of this alone... and I don't think I could." His words warmed me, but I felt guilty that he was trying to reassure me when it should be the other way around, so I ceased my complaints to cradle him in my arms, listening to his breathing finally even out as he fell asleep.

I had felt him rise this morning to do his job, to grace Greece and her people with his presence, to provide Olympus with a reason to get out of bed, and then he returned to his own bed and held me as he fell back to sleep.

Smiling, I ran my hand through his thick auburn hair, twirling a lock of his soft hair around my finger as I watched him sleep. He looked so boyish and charming when he slept.

Did he sleep well? I looked up at the soft voice carried in on the wind that blew through the windows and I felt a breeze pass over my back. I smiled at Hyacinth's presence. The ghost came to check on Apollo frequently. I had almost expected the ghost to be offended by my relationship with Apollo, but Hyacinth had given me his blessing in his own way.

"Yes," I answered quietly, so as not to wake Apollo, "He's exhausted..."

He's so sweet when he sleeps... May you kiss him for me, Anexius? I nodded at his innocent request and leaned in to place my lips against Apollo's forehead. He sighed in his sleep and snuggled closer, wrapping his arms around my torso and pressing his head to my chest. I smiled at that.

Please take care of our Apollo, Anexius... He's fragile.

"Of course, sweet Hyacinth. That goes without saying." I stroked Apollo's hair for a while, feeling Hyacinth's presence pull away, leaving us alone. A few seconds later, Apollo's eyes flickered open and looked up at me sleepily.

"What time is it?" He asked.

"Nearly eleven." He groaned at my response and I chuckled as he rolled onto his back now, throwing an arm across his eyes. I rolled over with him to lay against his chest, tracing my finger around his nipple, watching it harden and his breath hitch.

"Are you ready for breakfast?" I asked. Apollo growled and rolled both of us over so he was above me, leaning down to capture my lips in a passionate kiss that nearly blinded me. He pulled back, leaving me breathless as he brushed his nose over my cheek.

"I've been waiting for breakfast all night." I laughed, then moaned as his lips clamped on my throat and I arched my back, dragging my hands along his bare back. I swallowed as a moment of sorrow descended upon me at the feel of his puckered scars. I leaned up and kiss one particularly jagged scar on his shoulder, making him shiver.

"I love you," I murmured, tears welling in my eyes. For the first time in such a long time, I could finally say those words again and mean them. I closed my eyes and cradled Apollo to me as he kissed and suckled his way down, further until... his wet mouth engulfed me and I moaned, throwing my head back against the pillows, reaching down to sink my hand in his soft auburn hair. His tongue did a wicked dance over me, his hands stroking my hips and thighs. I trembled and bit my bottom lip as I felt myself nearing my limit until he pulled back abruptly and I groaned as he drew back up to smile in my face.