Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"Atlan was in Olympus?" I demanded.

Kallisto sank back below the water, peering up at me through the little waves that licked at my legs, and I noticed his fingers stroking the tops of my toes as if he were fascinated by those than the fact that the most wanted criminal in the universe was in Olympus.

Yes. Atlan big scary god. Kallisto chewing bone Anexius left for him, watch god come in and take papers. Kallisto explained, peering up through the water at me. I swallowed hard, trying to go through a list of things Zeus may have had that would be helpful to Atlan, but honestly I couldn't think of a thing and if Zeus knew Olympus was compromised, he would probably go on a purging rampage to ensure his own safety.

"This is bad." I whispered, more to myself than anyone else.

"What's bad?" Apollo asked, approaching me. I blinked and looked up as he approached, frowning curiously at me. Would telling Apollo be alright? He was prone to panic, yet another dislikable trait he'd gotten from his father. The last time he had a meltdown, he locked me up. I couldn't risk him doing that again and while he'd done so much for me, I was protecting him by doing this. Apollo, nor the other gods, could know that Atlan had appeared in Olympus.

"Nothing," I said after a moment, then smiled, "Kallisto's hungry is all." Kallisto tilted his head and Apollo blinked, then scowled.

"Right, I forgot they eat like six times their weight. Greek or Atlantean, merpeople are all the same. Food this, food that. It's any wonder they're not so fat they sink." He grumbled, heading out of the pool house, probably to fetch Kallisto food, which made him perk up and swim to the pool edge to peer over it after Apollo.

Food?

"Kallisto," I said, making him look up at me, "Do you think maybe you know anything about the papers? Where they were at? What might've been on them?" Kallisto wrinkled his nose adorably, making me shift one leg over the other to avoid him curiously getting near my crotch. Kallisto appeared to have a touching habit as he'd returned to pulling and pinching my toes and feet.

Kallisto cannot read Greek letters. Kallisto cannot read. Weird little markings don't feed him. They stupid... But papers looked different from other papers.

"How so?" I asked. Kallisto paused twiddling my toes to frown at them for a moment, brow knitting together as he concentrated on the memory of the papers, then looked up at me.

Looked softish. Very flimsy. Markings were very fancy, swirly.

So, it was handwritten, I think. No one would really take their time to make the font on printed documents look elegant. It was strict cold business. And soft paper, flimsy...

"Did the paper have any special markings on it? Writing or otherwise?" I asked. Kallisto scowled.

Kind of. Little ridges on the edges. Is the paper that land monsters use for eating.

Eating...?

A napkin? Why would Atlan go out of his way to break into the fortress that was Olympus just to snag a napkin? I partially wondered if Kallisto explained it wrong or if there really was something on that napkin that Atlan needed. Either way, it couldn't be good.

"Kallisto, whatever was written on that paper is enough to have Atlan breaking into Olympus to get it. Even worse, sending a Kirati to destroy Zeus's temple? It's got to be important." I murmured thoughtfully. Kallisto didn't seem too particularly interested, not that I blamed him. He was in a whole new world and wanted to explore, that and the fact that politics probably didn't interest him. He was a merman. He was easily pleased.