Prologue

Prologue

A scream rose up from the jungles of Atlantis and pierced the air, joining the thunder that crashed and boomed through a blanket of thick rolling black clouds. Rain heaved itself down from the dark sky, ocean waves darkening and crashing to shore, the tide reaching up to cradle the white sandy beaches before shrinking back as another scream tore through the air, then choked off into wrenching sobs.

It was a cold dark day on Atlantis as a god sat on the cold beach, arms wrapped tightly around himself, his billowing silk and satin red robes soaked and sticking to the sand, water reaching up to tug at them before sliding back into the ocean that churned and growled like a great beast, satisfied with its latest victim.

The god sat on his knees, back bent as if the weight of the world had suddenly crashed down on top of him, smashing him and crushing even the tiniest bit of hope that lingered from a shattered glass heart. Tears slid down perfect smooth cheeks, lips parting in another long silent scream, eyes screwed shut tight. Another mournful wail slipped from his throat and he shrank further down onto the sand.

By the time the clouds trembled part, drifting out to sea, revealing only threads of golden sunlight to sprinkle across the ocean, his throat was raw from screams, eyes bloodshot red and swollen, body drained of every last drop of kindness and innocence that he'd clung to with a desperation born of hope, hope that no longer existed. His shivering had ceased, helplessly clutching at wet robes fading until his long slender fingers sank into the sands around him that were already drying from the rain, from the ocean tide that began to shrink further back.

Eyes heavily lined in dark lashes slid open, a pair of clear white eyes staring out across the unforgiving sea that refused to spit up its latest murder. The god let out a long, shaky breath, digging a hand from the sand to shake the tiny grains away before sliding up through thick black hair that fell haphazardly about a pretty smooth masculine face that was paled in grief.

"I'm so sorry," He whispered helplessly at last, voice a deep rasp wracked with agony, "Dexius... I'm so sorry." A fierce hollow emptiness buried itself in place of his chest, a pain so profound, he couldn't find the strength to lift himself from the sand, so he sat and stared at the waves that had swallowed his lover, refusing to return what was left of him.

A single tear slid down the god's cheek, and the tide stretched in, one last attempt to swallow the tear as it fell, before retreating and the god choked on a dry sob now.

"Bastards," He choked, then released another scream, harsh and choked, "Fucking bastards...!" He coughed hoarsely, grasping his raw throat before clenching his teeth, fists balling tightly enough to create bloody crescent shapes into his palms. He rose, slowly, legs trembling. One step and he stumbled, caught himself, breathing raggedly as a deep burning sensation filled the emptiness in his chest.

Like a dark cold cavern flooded with lava.

He stepped into the freezing water, but it did nothing to soothe the the rage brewing deep inside him, spreading through his veins like a poison. The ocean quivered as the god stepped into its waters. Fish and merpeople panicked, swimming frantically in an attempt to escape the boiling hatred that turned the water red as satin and silk robes shed themselves and sank below the surface until the god stood nude with rippling ocean waters gathering about his waist.

"They'll pay for what they've done," The god's voice was a hoarse growl of promise, one that sent a pulse of power shocking through the water, a kick to the creatures that were attempting to flee the poison infiltrating their waters, "Even if it kills me, I will make sure those monsters and the rest of this pathetic sniveling pantheon suffers for what they've done..." His voice trailed as a salty sea breeze picked up through the around around him. The storm clouds that had begun to move east abruptly stopped and began to rumble and growl, turning course back for the island.

The creatures in the jungle hissed and whispered, fleeing to hide from a storm that had not yet passed. The gods turned one by one to stare at the darkening sky, icy bullets of rain picking up until they were ripping through leaves and denting in wood, carving into marble temples.

The mortals in the next realm felt a cold chill in the air, turned to see a storm from the east, black and deadly lurking in the distance.

The air became static, an electrical charge so powerful that the hairs on the god's arms stood on end, that his skin prickled and his blood sizzled. It was a powerful so profound that even his own powers were not a mere molecule in comparison. The sky above cracked and a golden spear of lightning exploded through the sky, narrowly missing the god, narrowly stopping before striking the water, as if challenging the god, who jerked his head up and stared at the sky, his breath stealing away as an immense power pulsed around him.

"Please," He choked, blinking rapidly against the rain that threatened to throw him beneath the waves of the ocean that began to churn and attempt to drag him down, "Please. I'll do anything, anything to make sure they're gone." The wind howled and screeched as it picked up, slashing at the god's skin, splitting porcelain skin open, straight through raw flesh and blood, straight to pearly bone. The god gritted his teeth, but the pain was not nearly as foul as the pain in his chest. Gasping loudly, more out of frustration at the ocean that had began to swirl around him to form a whirlpool, picking up in strength, the god looked up at the sky again as the wind passed through his wet hair, sending it flying around his shoulders, its voice a mere whisper in his ear and his muscles tightened at the offer.

A cage for the soul of the pantheon. A cage for the traitor.

"Cage me," He whispered, breathing hard as the winds lashed out, stirring the sea harshly, "Cage the pantheon. Cage me. Cage the pantheon." An inhuman wail tore through the air, a sonic boom of power shredding the air, awakening every beast in the realm, causing the gods to panic, the creatures to scream, the plants to tremble and ocean to resist, but none could resist the Creation.

"Cage me," The god repeated desperately, "Cage the pantheon... Cage me, but don't hurt him... don't hurt my brother, Xenon. Please. Cage us, cage the pantheon. Cage us, cage the pantheon."

The wail rose in pitch until the god couldn't stand it anymore and clasped his hands over his ears and screamed with the wail that rose and rose until nothing could be heard. All was silent. Trees tore up from their roots, temples exploded and flew into the sky as the wind spun in a wicked cyclone of destruction.

And all was silent.

And all ceased to exist.