Chapter seven: My plan

Chapter seven

I woke up to Ashley nudging me to get up. The only reason I did get up was to make sure I ended up going on that quest. I had a feeling in my stomach that told me that, for whatever reason, I wouldn't. It didn't make sense for me not to be there, considering the prophecy was obviously about me. Was I meant to believe it was about Perseus? Would they send him or anyone else to find them?

Ashley nudged me again, and I sighed. Of course they would. The prophecy was painfully straightforward—the Daughter of Time would bring the end of times, along with Knowledge, Light, Piercer and Ruler. Zeus was paranoid, he's been paranoid since the beginning of the world. A prophecy this straightforward would terrify him to his core, and if he could prevent it, he would.

I didn't have to wait long to see that I was right; Nico was nowhere to be seen, and the cabin was suspiciously quiet. The camp was quiet too. By my side, Ashley growled slightly—she didn't like this anymore than I did. I didn't blame her of course, since this was clearly a warning sign of sorts.

"Brooke Summers." Hermes. It wasn't hard to recognize him, with the winged sandals attached to his feet and the hint of mischief on his face. There was no mischief today though, only the weight of a message.

"Hermes. What news do you bring?" I wondered if our words echoed across the camp, if wherever the other campers were, they heard us talking.

"Zeus has ordered that you do not purse the prophecy." I snorted.

"Ignore Fate? Surely he realizes that not even a Demi-Titan such as myself could accomplish such a thing." Hermes frowned at my playful innocence.

"Of course he knows that. Fate must go on. Still, you are forbidden from questing. Other demigods will go on the quest in your place. You will be confined to Camp Half Blood until further notice." House arrest. Zeus was putting me on House Arrest.

"Lord Zeus is aware that if I am meant to go on that Quest and do not, then whichever demigod goes in my place with face unforeseen consequences." Unforeseen and horrible consequences. If Hermes agreed with what I was saying, he didn't show it. I didn't blame him in that aspect. His step-mother may be cruel, but Zeus had his own form of cruelties.

"We are aware. Remember, we've been alive a lot longer than you have, little one." Imagine being alive this long and still thinking you can defy fate.

"If you're aware, then let me go on the quest." Hermes didn't bat an eye at my response.

"Zeus has spoken. You are to remain at Camp Half Blood and are forbidden from going on the quest. If you try and escape, well...you know how Zeus loves his lighting bolts." Stay or die. Just about what I expected from the Olympians. Obey us or die.

Hermes was gone in the blink of an eye, and I found myself wondering about my half brother. Was I not an Olympian, in some fashion? No, I did not share their arrogance. The belief that I could defy fate simply because I might not like the outcome. Still, the threat of Death was going to be hard to avoid. Zeus's aim might've improved since he last tried to assassinate me. I would have to be clever if I wanted to get out of here. It was unfortunate that my Father was the Lord of Time instead of the Lord of Knowledge or Cleverness.

Ashley nudged me again, almost as if to remind me of my own abilities. To see into the past. To control time. Visions. A vision that could lead me to knowledge.

The cabin was still empty, and the camp silent, as if Hermes forgot to tell everyone that he was leaving. Like Zeus silences them so I could feel the weight of how alone I was—how foolish of him to assume I was not used to it at this point. I know I was meant to stay put, like a good little girl, prove to him that I wasn't a threat to his rule. But it seemed Fate had a different idea in store for me.