Chapter 3

Edessa Izthorne was 16 and a mage. But for right now she was a daughter acting as a mother and a helper to her father and brother. She was cooking theil root stew and a chicken that had been killed and salted AND cooked for dinner. She moved quickly as her scrawny fingers danced about the ingredients.

Dad walked in the kitchen and came in with a lot of spices and more meat to be eaten tomorrow for Lek's 16 birthday. "Hello father, so what do we have to eat for tomorow", i asked

"Oh, nothing you can't handle to cook", he retorted. Father was a tall bulk man with a beard that was scruff and tangled with wood chips. Father was a lumberjack and worked all day almost. But he worked for us to eat and have a great life unlike him.

Father always told us that he was an orphan and didn't learn that he was a Desain until he met our mother, Kales, as a child. They had puppy crushes on each other but they kept it in. Mom and Dad would roam the streets looking for food and worked in castles sometimes to get lavish food. Mother and Father didn't find the small Desain village until they were 19 and they got married and were pregnant with me. Are famliy has changed every since my mother died phemonia.I was only six years old when tragedy happend.

My train of thought was pierced when dad said "Edessa, i'll cook The rest of the feast you go up and get Lek for dinner". I went up the stairs to the tiny  yet comfortble loft of my brother's.

"Lek, it's time for dinner", i said

then we walked down to the kitchen and found dad serving the plates for dinner.